2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed?

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #31  
Not here either. All their lumber and plywood is warped and twisted. I get anything I need from a real lumber yard. Top quality for not very much more. I just shake my head when I see guys headed out the door with stuff that I would throw straight into the dumpster.

Local lumberyard used to have a bin outside "free firewood". They cut all their discard lumber down to stove size. That was back when when the allowed the customer to sort and load his own truck.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #33  
I'd like to actually see some of those allegedly perfectly straight 2x4s! They sure don't sell those at any of the big box stores around here.

Yeah thought would be good for a laugh, I seen some of those 2x4s at HD, most are as crooked as their lawyers....

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #34  
Well...they pretty much are until they dry out! I watched them cut the bands on a new lift of 2x6. Pile expanded by about a quarter.

I built a temporary ceiling support of 2x4 to keep the cieling from collapsing when I was working on the remodel. Came back next moring and one of the upright 2x4 had a complete 90* twist from one end to the other. It wa straight when I put it in.

Wow that's some movement right there, do you know what kind of 2x4 that was? I think spruce and balsam fir moves the most for soft wood species, white pine I think moves the least, therefor makes the best lumber by far, but then again I've sawed out some fresh cut popular that curled right up from the saw bed, that stuff saws better, stays straighter if sits for a year first, probably the same with spruce and fir.

Anyways very aggravating trying to build or repair houses, sheds..... with crooked lumbar, the modern bar clamp becomes your best helper.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #36  
   / 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #37  
Speaking of 2x4's......look up Ben Cheney.........quite a guy.......his foundation has helped many in our area.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #38  
I can see the signs in the lumber yard now: "Lumber for sale...measure it yourself".

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #40  
I'd like to actually see some of those allegedly perfectly straight 2x4s! They sure don't sell those at any of the big box stores around here.

Well actually "perfectly straight" means that the dimensions remain the same. I used to work in a reman mill and rough cut lumber could easily vary a half inch to an inch in either width or depth. Imagine what a sheetrocked wall would look like with lumber varying in between 3.5 and 4.25 in depth. Back in the good old days of full dimension rough cut lumber walls were covered in lath and plaster which could be varied it thickness to hide most variations.

Lumber is a natural product and variations in bow and twist are the natural result. The best way to minimize this to have a slow drying process. WE used to air dry some lumber for over a year before it was milled. Even so when we made a small moulding out of 1x4, dividing into three separate pieces, the three pieces would sometimes curve in three different directions even though it had been a nice straight piece of CVG fir going it.

Last edited: