3 point hitch - general question

/ 3 point hitch - general question #1  

tcweb

Tractor
JD 2305, Ford5000
I have a Ford 5000. I am fairly new to tractors (7'ish years), so forgive me if this is a newbie question.

See my pics below - I'm trying to get an optimal angle on my brushhog (84"), so that it won't bog down the tractor.
I can't adjust the center link much more (mashed threads!), so am I correct that moving the center link down to the next hole on the tractor is the right answer? Or should the hole be selected to so that the center link is as level as possible to the implement? (and if so, in the down or up position)?

basically, what is the point of the 3 center link attachment holes?

IMG_1552.jpgIMG_1551.jpg

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

/ 3 point hitch - general question #2  
The draft control valve is at the top. Ground engaging implments (plows, chisels, subsoilers) will use the lower top link hole. Mowers, rakes typically use the upper hole. On the transmission you should have a lever to select 3pt positional control or draft (drag) control. When in draft control the 3pt lever drops or raises 3pt, no intermediate settings like positional control

The rpm gauge should have a pto mark. Are you running near max rpm? You may need to mow in lower gear or replace top link turn buckle. Mower should have parts that flex so top attachment is not solid. Some users will replace top link with section of chain so rear of mower can float.

Last edited:
   / 3 point hitch - general question #3  
The lower holes make the implement tilt forward more as you raise it, or tilt down more as you lower it.

BTW top links are generic and cheap.

/ 3 point hitch - general question
If an 84" mower is bogging down a 60 PTO HP tractor I think the solution is probably slower ground speed.
Maybe, but it just seems to be bogging down a lot more than the first few years I owned it. I cut in 4th gear mostly, and that hasn't changed. I know that a brush hot is not supposed to cut clean, so I'm not thinking It's blade sharpening. Gearbox looks OK, oil level OK. We have a LOT of dense weeds and a few fields that I cannot reach if the ground has been wet...so we may only mow some of our fields 1-2x/year. By that time, there are some 1/2" trees and some other woody plants that are pushing 6'.

I did lower the center link to the middle hole, and that seems to help a lot.

I will look to replace the center link, or at least repair the one I have. I may be able to chase the threads and get it working properly.

Am I correct to believe that the rear of the brushhog should be 3-4" higher than the front? To allow grass to be thrown rearward, and not just pulled along under the brushhog?

/ 3 point hitch - general question #7  
Maybe, but it just seems to be bogging down a lot more than the first few years I owned it. I cut in 4th gear mostly, and that hasn't changed. I know that a brush hot is not supposed to cut clean, so I'm not thinking It's blade sharpening. Gearbox looks OK, oil level OK. We have a LOT of dense weeds and a few fields that I cannot reach if the ground has been wet...so we may only mow some of our fields 1-2x/year. By that time, there are some 1/2" trees and some other woody plants that are pushing 6'.

I did lower the center link to the middle hole, and that seems to help a lot.

I will look to replace the center link, or at least repair the one I have. I may be able to chase the threads and get it working properly.

Am I correct to believe that the rear of the brushhog should be 3-4" higher than the front? To allow grass to be thrown rearward, and not just pulled along under the brushhog?
If that's the case, like knob said it may be time for a tune up. No new smoke, smells, or leaks is there?

/ 3 point hitch - general question #8  
Isn't this the same tractor with a PTO problem in a different thread? Could the clutch driving the PTO be slipping?

/ 3 point hitch - general question
Tuned up about 2 years ago (new points, coil, filters, etc.) Seems to run strong. I had removed the brushhog to box blade (with help from father in law), and that's what got me thinking...were adjustments made to the 3point settings to accomodate the box blade. I honestly don't recall.

Like I mentioned, changing the angle to allow 3-4" more height on the back of the brushhog seems to help quite a bit.

/ 3 point hitch - general question #10  
Purchase a new top link or "chase" the threads on the existing link. My Kubota M6040 is 60 hp. For mowers ( mid- and rear-mount type) - the top hole is recommended.