3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #1  

OkeeDon

Veteran Member
Reading Inspector507's posts about the rear remote on a TC18, reminded me that I really need to get cranking one of these days on an attachment I got with my tractor but have not yet used.

It's a bale lifter that attaches to the 3 point hitch, and has a hydraulic lift that will lift the bale -- or whatever -- even higher. It was sold as a bale lifter, because the forks are more square than a forklift, and there is a bale spear near the top. The bale spear is removable, and the forks can be used as a forklift. That's how I plan to use it. I don't have a picture of it; it's similar to the CadLift shown in the attachment.

I got it in a simple sweetener deal. The dealer and I were close in our negotiations, but I was looking for something more. I mentioned a need for pallet forks; I was thinking about something that attached to the bucket. I have a need to unload pallets from time to time from the back of semi trailers, pallets that weigh 400# or so.

The owner of the dealership was nearby and overheard us, and mentioned the 3 point hydraulic lift they had bought as a new item, but never sold. It was brand new, but had been sitting around outside for a couple of years, and was a bit ragged looking. They looked it up, and said the list price was around $1,000. If I agreed to buy the tractor, they'd throw it in.

It was designed for category 2, but I can install cat 1 pins and turn them to the inside and it will fit my 3 point very well. The unit weighs around 400#, but I have 1265# lift capacity on the 3 point, so there will be enough capacity to lift the unit and my pallets.

The technique is to lower the lift and lower the 3 point, run under the pallet, provide the initial lift with the 3 point, then continue lifting with the hydraulic cylinder on the unit. It has enough total lift to get to the floor of most semi trailers.

Initially, the dealer and I figured that I could run the unit's hydraulic cylinder with long hoses attached to one function of the FEL. The more I thought about it, however, the more I realized that I would also need a hydraulic top link to keep the forks at the right angle as I lifted the unit.

The TC18 only has the capability of installing one rear remote; as seen on the thread about the rear remote, the clearances are pretty tight. If I install a hydraulic top link, I'd also like to install a tilt link, and also have the ability to control this fork lift without unhooking one of the FEL functions and running long hoses. So, I need a total of 3 rear remotes.

I've had some conversations about this in the past, and have been given some references, but I'm really a babe in the woods when it comes to hydraulics. My guess is that I need to add the rear remote, then add some kind of power beyond setup, but when I go to the various links I've been given, it's all Greek to me.

So, here are my questions. First, has anyone ever seen or used a rig similar to what I have? I've really looked, and I can't find anything like it on the 'net, except the CadLift I've pictured. There is no manufacturer's plate on my unit. It has a capacity plate, but no Mfr.

Second, now that I've seen how to hook up the rear remote, thanks to Inspector507, can anyone point me to a kit or specific list of parts for installing a power beyond setup and get two more rear remotes? I'm not too worried about flow rates; while the TC18 has a relatively low flow rate it's always had enough for all my jobs, and I'm willing to use the controls one at a time. What I really need is a parts list -- buy "this from this outfit" and "that from the other", and it will work.

This unit makes a lot of sense for me if I can get it working, because I don't want the semis using my driveway -- not enough turn-around room. I'll unload them on the county road, then carry the pallets about 700' to the barn. The stability of having them on the back is very reassuring to me.

Attachments

• 415160-cadlift.jpg
    415160-cadlift.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,240
   / 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #2  
I'm sure for pallets it is just the thing, but for bales only, I'd use a sissors.

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #3  
OkeeDon,
Been sitting here thinking about your situation for a few minutes and came up with two possible solutions, neither of which are going to be cheap.

One is to install a remote multiplier as well as the rear remotes. V&M Multiplier
The other is to install the joystick from Integration Engineering

Basically going to be about the same setup either way. But I think for them to work, you're going to have to open the remote lever while operating the additional remote lever.

Maybe some one else has some different ideas.

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #4  
OkeeDon,
DO NOT USE THIS HIGH-LIFT ON A TC-18. It works safely on a large 85 HP tractor 8000 LBS or more. This is not safe on any compact or small utility size tractor. It has Cat 2 pins for a reason.
Mark Carter
Carter & Carter Machinery

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift
OK, Mark, you've got my attention. I've read a lot of your posts, and you have my respect because you're not normally an alarmist.

But, I'm not sure I understand. The TC18 has the capacity to lift 1265 pounds with the 3 point hitch, rated @ 24" behind the balls. With this rig, I'll have about 400# of hardware almost directly above the balls, and with a 400# load on the forks, distributed evenly, only about 200# will be out behind that 24" point. I can picture it getting a bit tippy when the forks are at their highest point, but that's only about 5' - 6' off the ground, and would only be when the tractor was backed up against a semi trailer. At most. I would slowly pull forward about 4' to clear the trailer, then immediately drop the load to the lowest point to travel with it, and, at that point, it's nothing more than a carry-all.

I assume the reason it had category 2 pins is because when it's being used to full capacity, to handle large round bales, the only thing that could lift it would be the tractor you describe. If I tried to overload it, it would just sit there and never get off the ground....

Am I that far off base? I'm willing to be corrected...

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #6  
Don,
We had a customer take a MF235 and lift a #800 bale off a 30" high trailer and he pull away from the trailer and was doing so up a slight upgrade and he turned the tractor over. I can tell you we will not sell them because of just that. A MF235 is almost twice the tractor of a TC18 in weight and footprint. Have you thought that if you were not on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt and you were not close to being level you could very easily turn over the tractor in it's side? What if the sand is softer on one side and a wheel drops off just as much as 4"? Your high center of gravity being 5' will quickly turn the tractor over. It is not safe on a TC18. The specifications you site have a maximum lift height of equal to the axel height and no more. Once you go above that you will lose 70% of your stability because you have changed the center of gravity. Please if you need a forklift or Bobcat rent one we all want you around to chat with.

Mark, thanks. That all makes sense. I have a specific use for it, which involves taking pallets off of semi trailers, on an asphalt paved road, on level ground, and immediately dropping it below the level of the rear axles. Even though I closed my BBQ grill store, I still do some wholesale business supplying built-in grills to residential contractors. When the grills are palletized, it's one grill strapped to a pallet. The heaviest grill I sell is around 300#; thus my conservative 400# limit to give myself a safety margin. I can also have wight in my FEL bucket to provide a counterbalance. I will never make a turn with the forks raised, pulling straight forward the length of the forks in order to drop them down.

Inpsector 507 mentioned that the hydraulics will be pricey, but I'm sure they will be cheaper than a dedicated forklift, and I''ll be able to use the top 'n tilt for other things.

I could accomplish the same thing with a set of inexpensive bucket-mounted forks, but I hesitate to run down my shell rock driveway with that much weight dangling out in front of the bucket. I'd rather have it tucked right behind me. I have lifted the entire body shell of a VW Rabbit strapped to the front of my bucket to put it on a trailer, but that was just a short distance at very low speed.

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #8  
One thing you could do to make it safer is to add a couple of heavy duty wheels and tyres to the bottom of the three point frame, one on each side,so that the frame although attached to the 3pt always sits/runs on the ground. The lifting would be done in the same way by the ram on the back, but as you drive forward or backward the whole weight of the frame and the item youre lifting would be taken by the ground and not just on the back of the tractor. You would still need to look at tnt if required to help tilt the unit vertically. I have an old fork lift which fits on cat 2pins and uses this method of supporting the weight. However you got a good deal anyway getting the frame with the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 3 point hydraulic fork/bale lift #9  
Mat,
That's a very good idea, but the thing that would make me wonder.........will the forks lower enough to off load the pallet like a forklift could. Maybe with a Hydraulic Top link..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree it's a good idea. It's out in Okeechobee and I'm in Port St. Lucie (that's why I posted no pics of the actual unit), but I think the forks might go down far enough, or could be made to do so. The actual problem I see is that without using the 3 point lift, at the actual moment of getting the pallet off the semi, is that it won't go high enough. The actual lift on the forks is around 3' or so (haven't used it, yet). It needs the extra height from the 3 point lifting up the entire assembly to reach. I did a Google on standard loading dock height, and while I got no conclusive answers on a quick search, it looks like around 48" to 50".

But, I like the idea of the "training wheels" while transporting the load down the driveway. Or, I could do what I've often done in the past, and just put the pallet in the bed of my pickup -- it's usually going right back out for delivery, anyway. What I've done in the past is to put some boards across the top of the pickup bed, and slide the pallet down from the semi, but I'm no longer a young man to wrestle with it. Where i am now, I have the use of a neighbor's forklift, but he won't move to the country with me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One of these days, Real Soon Now, I'll get around to restoring my 1948 Hyster 3-wheel Model 20 forklift.