3-Point Hitch 3-point newbie

/ 3-point newbie #1  

bem1965

Tractor
Iseki TS 2200
Hi all,

I have a Iseki TS 2220 F.

I am very new to tractors so this is propably just ignorance but I would like to know for sure...

My tractor has been used as a snow remover for the last ten years prior to me buying it. On the 3-point there is a counter wheight box full of wheights.n I have remover the counter wheight box (after removing the snow bucket).

PTO works both high and low speed.

But I am a little unsure of operating the 3-point hitch....

I have turned the knob "lowering speed adjustment lever" to "Fast". When I move the "Hydraulic control lever" up and down nothing seems to happen, it might be that the arms was raised a tad, but hard to tell...

If I understand the 3-point correctly the arms ought to lower by their own wheigt when I put the "Hydraulic control lever" in the down position.
Is it possible that I need to add wheigt to the 3-point lifting arms to get them to lower? This seems a bit problematic, If the arms are in the up position it is a bit troublesome to heist 150 kg of counter wheigt up and fasten to the arms. I now that farmers of yesteryear were all supermen, but this seems a bit over the top, not even my grandfather was strong enough to lift the big implements!

Any help would be appreciated!

/Lars

/ 3-point newbie #2  
You may have answered it on your own already.

You may need to have weight on the 3-pt for the arms to lower.

I am not saying all 3-pts have to have weight but yours may.

Sounds like you have the correct idea of how to work it also.

Try some weight.

Maybe put the lever in the down position (with the tractor off NOT RUNNING) and stand on one of the arms?

Good luck in getting it working...

/ 3-point newbie #3  
others be much more helpful than I. and more likely know some details about your specific tractor model. and correct questions to ask you.

turn the tractor on. you might need to "engage" the PTO. so it spins on back of the tractor. and then use the lever to see if the arms raise and/or lower. the PTO is a small little shaft between the arms and just slightly above them on back of the tractor. and below the center top link of the 3 point hitch.

if they raise. how much do they raise? (at the end farther away from tractor.) get a tape measure out and check. ((be careful of the spinning pto)) and if need be shut tractor down before measuring))

put lever down and see if it drops and if so how much does it drop?

===================

if the arms are completely raised and they are not lowering but an inch. perhaps you have a check valve or ball or like device in the hydraulic system that is not letting hyd pressure out.

are you sure you are using correct lever? one lever most likely engages PTO while another operates hydraulics for the lift arms. some times levers are on sides of seats, behind a seat. some place around the dash / steering wheel. some times on the floor. some times a foot lever were you might think a brake or gas peddle might be. do you need to engage a "hand clutch" lever vs a foot clutch lever to engage the PTO?

====================

also check your "hydurlic fluid" levels. along with all other oil levels engine oil level, transmission oil level. etc... i don't know much about tractors. just what i have. and if you are low on oil. you might have some air in the lines. and you might need to operate the hydraulics (all of them a couple dozen times) ((fully extend and fully contract all hyd cylinders each time)) to get air out once you you have oil up to correct levels.

the arms on tractor may not go clear down to the very ground. for say a custom made weight box. and previous owner might of had a stand or some concrete bricks or wood that they previously sat the weight box down on. when they removed it. to make it for easier re-hooking back up.

/ 3-point newbie #4  
If it carried around a heavy weight for ten years and was never lifted it might be plugged.
Check the filter screens, fluid level and possibly change them.

Goodluck

/ 3-point newbie #5  
There is a valve under my seat to control the flow (speed) of the arms going down. You may have one also and having it shut.

/ 3-point newbie #6  
Isn't it amazing how people don't read what you write.

Are your levers marked on the tractor so you know for sure you are moving the ones you need to, the direction you need to?

Do you have the manuals for the tractor?

Some PTOs may run with an internal hydraulic motor, but most are gear driven so would have nothing to do with the 3-point lift hydraulic system.
Totally seperate, if one works doesn't mean the other will.

Yes, 3-point lifts are power up and gravity down(own weight, nothing extra needed) although some of the new big ones have power down.

Is there much rust on the tractor?

Was the snow blade on a FEL or set-up like a 6-way dozer blade or just out front on an undercarriage lift frame?

Did you have hydraulic controls for it?

Really sounds like you may need to flush the entire hydraulic system.

Another thought, do you have any other hydraulics that work?
If not, the pump might be bad.

I would do the clean & flush all fluids.

How is it going?

/ 3-point newbie #7  
Some tractors have a "lock" or "transport" selector so the 3 PH won't come down during transport; don't know if your model does or not.

/ 3-point newbie #8  
Like RiZaK, my tractor has a flow control knob that is intended to regulate drop speed and is adjustable for implement weight, operator feel, etc. If I turn this flow control enough toward slow, my arms won't drop even with the weight of an implement on them. I'd first look for something simple like this before tearing into things. TripleR's suggestion to look for a transport lock also sounds like something to be at the top of your list.

/ 3-point newbie
Thanks all for clarifications!

I have a FEL that works.

I will try with adding weight to the lifting arms. My weight box is only about 10 kg empty, the weights that goes into it is 20 kg each, thank Tor for the winch.

All fluids were changed after I bought the tractor.

If the problem is not solved I will follow up......

/ 3-point newbie #10  
I've had a similar issue with a tractor. Stand on the 3-point, and push the "down" lever. (Hopefully within reach)
That worked for me.

good luck!