3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #1  

bprzyw

Tractor
JD 2020
Hello all. I have a JD 2020, not sure of year, serial plate rotted in half. The 3 point just quit lifting. Power steering acting up, and brakes need pumping to get them to work. No loader, one set scv on rear, never used. Hydraulic oil checked and it is full. Read a lot on the internet, esp on this website. Just all of a sudden thing. Now if I let the tractor rev up about 15 minutes, the 3 point will lift. Just a 7' back blade on it. Have not pulled trans cover yet, to check tubes. have no pressure gauges.
Just weird that the 3 point, power steering, and brakes would act up all at once. Please help, needed for snow removal, getting more tonight.................
Thanks
Bernie

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #2  
1st thing to do is look in hyd filler hole for spraying oil with 3 pt raised and engine running. How long since hyd filter was changed & check/clean sump screen(parts key #30)??

Attachments

• RWP5246________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP5246________UN01JAN94.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 752
   / 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up
Jim,
Never changed the filter or checked sump/screen. Is that (#30) in the center of the 3 point lever quadrant? Cause there is one there that looks like that. I will have a look tonight when home from work.

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #4  
Hopefully your hydraulic pump isn't going out. Along with changing your filter and cleaning the sump screen, I'd also change the universal/hydraulic fluid out.

Ok, will change fluid and sump/screen. Replace filter, and see what she does. I kinda was going with the pump going bad, with everything acting up, but was not sure. They are sure expensive. Maybe I can gain some time with all the above work done.

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #6  
Jim,
Never changed the filter or checked sump/screen. Is that (#30) in the center of the 3 point lever quadrant? Cause there is one there that looks like that. I will have a look tonight when home from work.

To check sump screen(parts key #30) one must drain hyd oil or insert running shop vacuum hose in hyd oil filler hole

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 341
Pulled trans/hyd filter, looks ok, but getting new one. I seen #30 below to the rear of the foot plate. need part numbers. does pn# AR75603 sound right? Also when i crank the steering wheel way right, the 3 point starts to lift and i can hear the pump screaming like all h3ll. crosses with fram c1721

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #8  
AR75603 is the hyd filter. You won't need a new sump screen unless your tractors hyd oil is very dirty!!!!! Sump screen PN is AR26375. It's possible the power steering is leaking inside the PS housing. I'd suggest to remove PS supply line and cap hyd line from frt pump to test hyd system.

Attachments

• T18477_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T18477_________UN01JAN94.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 184
Jim, doesn't seem too dirty, i have seen worse. However, when i pulled the filter housing, there were flecks of bronze/brass looking material in the bottom. not a lot mind you, but they were there. Going to remove and cap PS line as you mentioned and see what happens. By PS housing, you mean below the steering wheel near the shift controls, right?

/ 3 point, steering, brakes, on jd 2020 acting up #10  
Bronze/brass particles are from brake linings(pads) which a little flakes is normal. I still think you need to check sump screen. Diagnosing problems on closed center hyd systems such as your 401 B will make you OLD & BALD headed like me.:eek: