3 point

/ 3 point #1  

Cnowark

Tractor
Allis 5040
On my allis 5040 the 3 point is ether up or down there’s no control any suggestions

/ 3 point #2  
I am not familiar with your tractor, but most three point lifts have a mechanism to provide position feedback to the valve for controlling lift height. Sometimes it's a small linkage from one of the rockers to a bell crank arm on the side of the case. Sometimes the mechanism is inside the case. If the linkage comes apart, then the three point will go all the way up with any setting as there is no feedback to stop it.

/ 3 point #3  
I am not familiar with your tractor, but most three point lifts have a mechanism to provide position feedback to the valve for controlling lift height. Sometimes it's a small linkage from one of the rockers to a bell crank arm on the side of the case. Sometimes the mechanism is inside the case. If the linkage comes apart, then the three point will go all the way up with any setting as there is no feedback to stop it.

Looking at the parts book, that looks like the case. A small lever that changes it from draft to position control.
If it is in the draft position, it will react just as the OP described.

/ 3 point #4  
The previous answers seem on the right track.

When the control lever is not all the way up while in draft control mode, the arms will lower until they get a compression load, or forward push, on the top link. When the draft load increases and pushes harder on the top link, the arms will raise until the pushing force reduces to the balance point that is set by the control lever position. As the draft load decreases the arms once again lower trying to find a depth that creates the amount of compression needed on the top link to balance the spring and hydraulic forces that make draft control work.

In position mode the arms should simply raise and lower to a repeatable position that corresponds with the control lever position.

If you find the selector that changes between draft and position control, and the arms behave the same in either setting, then something is broken or disconnected. At that point an illustrated parts diagram, repair manual, or more input from members experienced with that model will be your friend.