Oil & Fuel 300 Hours on Engine Oil?

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Anyone else changing their engine oil every 300 hours? That’s what my manual says, but I’ve always changed every 100 hours on previous tractors. Am I just wasting money changing my oil every 100 hours? I don’t do a lot of serious work with mine, no harsh or rough conditions. I rarely need to run it over 1500rpms even.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #2  
I think the manual shows 250 hours. Oil changes should be done somewhat close to annually in my belief. For 30$ in supplies annually (ish) regardless of hours not to exceed 250, and probably better done@ 100. I'm far from being a qualified diesel tech, though my thoughts are it could use some higher RPM run time as well.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #3  
Anyone else changing their engine oil every 300 hours? That’s what my manual says, but I’ve always changed every 100 hours on previous tractors. Am I just wasting money changing my oil every 100 hours? I don’t do a lot of serious work with mine, no harsh or rough conditions. I rarely need to run it over 1500rpms even.

Oil and a filter is cheap compared to engine wear. Here's my 02 cents.......

Oil from a Deisel engine is under much more stress than your car. And even though the oil manufacturers claim to put in additives to improve performance in Diesel engines, the filter, even a good filter - can only take so much contamination before the bypass opens up. I change oil and filter every 100 hours or as close to it as possible. Here's a quick tech tip for what it's worth:

I've found that by keeping the supplies always on hand, Instead making a special trip when it's ready for the change - helps tremendously. I'm a fanatic about my stuff. I put a high value on keeping my equipment looking good and running good. Good luck and Godspeed.......

Catch my YouTube Channel at BotaTrac
- YouTube

I'd be honored if you subscribe because you like what you see. Thanks a million!......BotaTrac Out!

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #4  
I change my annually as I only put a little over 100hrs a year on mine. I would change at a minimum once a year if your not hurting that 300hr mark.

Also as others said more RPM’s is better for these new Diesel engines.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil?
My manual says every 300, not 250. And my engine is pre-Tier 4. It’s just a good ole 4 cylinder diesel. No Tier 4 junk and no turbo.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #6  
All good points made here and just one more for consideration.

Condensation builds in the crankcase. So acids build up and corrosion process will slowly work on internal components.

Years ago I read that it takes a vehicle 18 miles of driving to warm up the oil enough to remove all condensates. Therefore short in town runs are harder on an engine.
So I'm thinking the same for our diesels.
But instead of worrying about the hours to run and keep oil acid free, the annual ritual of oil and filter change is rather cheap insurance.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #7  
In regards to YLee's comments. My tractors used to live in a climate controlled shop building. I changed oil based on hours. Now they live in a non controlled machine shed. I change oil at a minimum of once per year. My concern is the condensation mentioned above.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil?
My shop is climate controlled also. So I’m not concerned about condensation.

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #9  
You will have to come up with what works best for you. Once a year isn't a bad option, every spring or winter. You can do the oil change and check over the entire machine before the next seasons starts.

these questions are like asking for the winning lottery numbers...

/ 300 Hours on Engine Oil? #10  
My shop is climate controlled also. So I知 not concerned about condensation.

My building is not climate controlled.
My tractors are old, (67yrs. 48 yrs. 29 years) but, are in excellent condition, and have very few hours.
My tractors get maybe 10 hours use each, per year.( the 8N most years gets no use).
I am old (77) and I am wearing out. There is no way to change my oil.
I change tractor oil when I think it might be a good idea, but not every year.
I have absolutely no doubt that my tractors will continue to lead a healthy life, long after I am gone.