3000 Series A/C Issues

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #31  
I checked my a/c this am with infrared thermometer. (Harbor Freight special for $29 and works great.) Outside temp 91F. Operated tractor in the full sun for about 30 minutes. All vents open, max a/c with fan on high. Vent temps varied from 51-55F. Temp in center of cab at steering wheel surface was 76F. Even at these readings, I don't feel the cab is over all too cold. If your getting vent temps in the 70s, I would be complaining and it needs to be fixed.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #32  
nmu98 said:
Nuru, Watch the AC and heat control wires, and as you tighten the top down, make sure they work freely. One of them is help in place by a putty. My dealer warned me that that one likes to move to a place where it will bind if you dont watch it. I did not have that issue with mine, but i was very carefull to keep it in place.

My AC works like a champ with the new seal. I had to turn it off on an 85 degree day with sun. It was so cold in the cab I was getting a headache.

Thanks for the warning, I have them off right now, and when i go back in, I will make sure they are not binding. I am taking the headliner with me to Best Buy and see what they have that I might want and will fit.

I took the top off and I found one break, and one starting to tear. I took pics and wil send to the dealer for proof of need of a replacement seal, and await the replacement seal. In the meantime, I repair the seal as best I could and re-installed the top.
'
Well back to the Headlner!

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues
radman1 said:
I checked my a/c this am with infrared thermometer. (Harbor Freight special for $29 and works great.) Outside temp 91F. Operated tractor in the full sun for about 30 minutes. All vents open, max a/c with fan on high. Vent temps varied from 51-55F. Temp in center of cab at steering wheel surface was 76F. Even at these readings, I don't feel the cab is over all too cold. If your getting vent temps in the 70s, I would be complaining and it needs to be fixed.

Radman1, man that's just wrong! Here am am almost satified that I get 70 degrees out of mine and you post that you get 51-55 on a 91 degree day.

I guess I'm getting Deere involded now. If you can get it I should be able too.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #34  
Did another a/c test. Outside temp is 98F. (More like Texas!) Vent temps in full sun were 54-59F. Steering wheel surface 76-77.
I did notice when you first turn on the a/c and it is hot, it took about 30 min to get these temps. There is a lot of hot surface area to cool down and it takes a while to cool the air box. If I get in and out of the cab a few times it also takes awhile to recover.
It also seemed to cool faster if I left the fan in the middle setting rather than on high when first started. This may allow air box to cool faster? May just be my imagination.
I would still recommend you try clamping off the heater hose to the cab as an additional aid. I installed a valve and have mine turned off. You may also want to get a smoke stick. These are used in houses to check for leaks around windows, electrical outlets. Try one of these around the air box when there is no wind or inside a shed. See if there is an air leak in the air box seal. It should suck in the smoke if there is a leak.
Something else to consider is tinting the cab windows. I have thought about doing this at times. The cab is essentially a green house and tough to cool. It makes sense to me that all cabs should have factory tinted windows except the front.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues
Here is what I did today while it was 103 outside and sunny.

While in the shade I tried clamping the heater hose and at first I thought I was able to see a difference, after further investigation I could not tell a difference.

I did some shedding and the digital thermo said mid to low 70s.

Next i took the rear filter off and used aliminum duct tape over the air inlet replaced the filter and cover to protect the tape from branches. This basically turned the unit into a recirculating system. I noticed a very significant change. I was able to get the vent temp to 57.4F on medium speed and about 60-61 on high.

All of this was in the shade. As soon as I went into the sun it did increase about 4 degrees on each level.

I think the cab is a little more comfortable (less humid & cooler) with the tape covering the outside air inlet. I wonder how this would effect anything long term?

I did not notice a change in airflow.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #36  
I think we can eliminate the heater as a problem. I still wonder if there is a problem with a leak in the air box. I think you should try blocking off the outside filter and then check with a smoke stick (extinguished candle or match) to see if air is being sucked in where it shouldn't. With the filter blocked off, your readings are similar to mine. I had a leak in my air box that was very hard to see by the dealer. It wasn't a leak at the air box seal. It was nearly completely hidden in the corners.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues
Would a leak in the seal/air box blow air out or suck air into cab?

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #38  
Silver_Knight said:
I think you said the condensor was clean, but what I learned the hard way, was I was using a strong pressure water hose, to clean out the radiator and condensor, then I would go to work, the dust/dirt would then get stuck like mud in the condensor/radiator. Yes, I know what dummy does that, but it was a learning process and I learned to use air pressure, or if I used water at anytime, I would let it dry overnight. If you dont have good air flow through the radiator the A/C will have a problem cooling. Does the A/C compressor cut on and off-on and off-on and off? Im assumming someone has checked the freon pressure.
I had a pickup that I spent about $700 on the A/C system and it still wouldnt cool, come to find out it was the inline filter, I didnt think it had one, but it doesnt look like a filter and it took a special tool to get it out, but I was there when it came out and it was stopped up, replaced it and now its about 50 degrees, a $10 part cost me $700, live and learn :confused:

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #39  
Silver_Knight said:
Leak will suck air in. Too much outside hot air coming in and the a/c can't cool it fast enough. Check your air filter also to make sure it doesn't have a tear or poor seal and letting too much air in.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues
radman1 said:
Leak will suck air in. Too much outside hot air coming in and the a/c can't cool it fast enough. Check your air filter also to make sure it doesn't have a tear or poor seal and letting too much air in.

Radman1, I have taped the filter inlet completely where no airflow from the ooutside comes in at the air filter inlet. I will try the smoke test tomorrow.