30k tractor budget

/ 30k tractor budget #1  

jmerchant05

Tractor
Rural king rk24
Hi all, i got led here while searching for tractors and seemed like a good place for some help.

I will be purchasing a tractor when we get our taxes back next year and i expect to have a budget of 30k. Ive been looking at used but just thought id check if a new tractor is possible. Its hard to figure out prices most of the time it seems and then i know there are better deals once you go to buy.

I really dont want a payment as we just paid off all our debt besides our new house we're building but would be considered if it could be pretty close.

I am looking for a minimum 50hp 4wd tractor with front loader, of course a cab would be nice but not necessary. We'll be raising goats and id like to be able to move round bales, bushhog, mow and maneuver logs from cutting down trees would be the general work.

Im not brand loyal and i dont really want to pay more just for a name, but i want a quality tractor. We do have a jd, tym, kubota, NH, deutz and case dealer within an hour that i know of.

If thats pretty much not in reason what should i look for in a used one?

/ 30k tractor budget #2  
You have a lot of dealers and choices. That is good. I would look at all of them. My first choices would be JD, Kubota or NH. But look at all. At 30k you might get a Kubota L4701 (47 hp, hst. with loader -bucket. ) for around there, or a little more, might also get a Kubota Mx60 - 60 hp. I am sure JD would have comparable models, as would the others. As far as used, that is a good idea, but hard to find. I looked for a good used for about 1 1/2 years. Never found one.

Also, Kubota offers 5 year financing at 0 interest. Might want to consider financing some of the cost so that you can carry their insurance. It is very good and can keep it as long as you don't pay off the note. After the note is paid, they will offer you an opportunity to purchase their insurance. It covers roll overs and theft, among other things. I would also think other brands would also offer financing deals and insurance. Welcome to TBN. Also your profile shows you have a Rural King. I think RK made by TYM. I thought RK was pretty much only in the Northeast. We have TYM here in the Midwest.
Best Wishes.

/ 30k tractor budget #3  
Do you have a tractor now, for comparisons? You show an RK24 in your tractor profile.

How much land will you operate your potential 50-horsepower/4-WD tractor over?

Round bales weight from 600 pounds to 1,600 pounds. What do round bales weigh where you are?

I would consider a 50-horsepower/4-WD tractor, which will weigh about 3,800 pounds bare tractor weight, suitable for working ten to twenty acres. A bare weight of 3,800 pounds is about the minimum necessary to move and stack round bales with the Loader.

This is the mid-weight category of compact tractors, a high volume segment. Every compact tractor manufacturer produces an economy model and a deluxe model in this weight range. Horsepower options range from 40-horsepower to 60-horsepower in this weight range.

You can move round bales with a lighter tractor, using a Three Point Hitch bales spear, but not stack bales. A tractor is much more stable with heavy loads supported by the large, non-pivoting rear wheels.

Im not brand loyal and i dont really want to pay more just for a name, but i want a quality tractor.

The up and coming tractor brands are Korean: Kioti, LS and Branson. There are other Korean brands.

Most or all of the Korean tractor brands have AROUND 1% compact tractor market share in the USA under their primary trademark. I am skeptical even the most successful Korean tractor brand exceeds 2% market share under it's primary trademark. LS, Kioti, TYM and Branson are handicapped by only having compact tractors in the USA product line. It takes a talented capitalist to keep the doors open at a regional brand selling only compact tractors during a severe recession like 2008-2009. You must critically assess dealer stability while shopping minor brands.

Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

We have jd, tym, kubota, NH, deutz and case dealer within an hour that i know of.

Start with the nearest dealer and work out. Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

CREDIT: 'FELIXEDO'

"It has been touched on a couple of times, but not directly as a buying factor.

Every major make has a machine that will do the job(s) you want. Check out your nearby dealers, and go with one you have confidence in.

A great machine with no support nearby is a hassle to repair and maintain.

And a good machine can't make a lousy dealer into a good dealer."

Last edited:
   / 30k tractor budget
I had looked at the mx6000 before, i was highly interested in it but the cab version was in the mid 40s, so the cabless may still be a little out of my reach but something to look into. I did just start looking again and saw in washinton a mx6000 fel, cab 4wd with bucket for 45k. I then saw in indiana the same tractor, with pallet forks and an equipment trailer with 7k axles for 48k.

/ 30k tractor budget
Do you have a tractor now, for comparisons? You show an RK24 in your tractor profile.

How much land will you operate your potential 50-horsepower/4-WD tractor over?

I would consider a 50-horsepower/4-WD tractor, which will weigh about 3,800 pounds bare tractor weight, suitable for working eight to fifteen acres. A weight of 3,800 pounds is about the minimum necessary to move and stack round bales with the Loader.

You can move round bales with a lighter tractor, using a Three Point Hitch bales spear, but not stack bales. A tractor is much more stable with heavy loads supported by the large, non-pivoting rear wheels.
Yes i do have the rk24, i got it for smaller jobs and tight places knowing id get a bigger one later. I definitely need that much tractor at least and a fel is a must.

We currently have 14 acres but will be buying the rest of the tract next to us to make 70 acres and will be buying anything else joining us or close if possible.

I spent a lot of time working on another farm and used a tn75d, they had almost 100 acres but we did a lot of wood cutting and work on the land. Just from cutting the trees down and moving them with the tractor to where we cut, split or loaded loaded logs. i really like to have about the same size tractor, it was super useful and may of been more than needed but i dont feel like it was unnecessary. but thats why i would say 50hp minimum.

/ 30k tractor budget #6  
First, you need to decide what features are most important, because at $30k there will be some compromises.

You also haven’t in included the cost of implements, which are thousands a piece.

For that much acreage 30k is a hard target. I think your budget is just too low for new. Maybe you should consider selling the RK24 and putting that into the new machine. Or looking at used, but its a hard market to find something used right now.
Here are some TN75Ds in your price range. https://www.tractorhouse.com/listin...HOLLAND&Mdltxt=TN75D&mdlx=Contains&dlr=1&if=1

For full round bales in TX (5x5 ish) you will want a Ag tractor for serious work. We moved 180 bales a month ago with the M7060 and front pallet forks, rotary cutter on the back for ballast. I dont know how large bales for goats are, cattle rounds weight 1000-1500lbs depending on moisture content.

I also agree go and look at them all. Get on them, operate them in the lot a bit. FEL, forward reverse, adjust seat/steering for comfort, see how well they operate to you.

Lastly, you picked the worst time in the last 20-30 years to buy a tractor. Availability is fairly slim, demand is often high, so prices are pretty high as well. Supply chain issues….so please be patient.

Last edited:
   / 30k tractor budget
First, you need to decide what features are most important, because at $30k there will be some compromises. For instance Cab or 25HP?

You also haven’t in included the cost of implements, which are thousands a piece.

For the tasks you are describing, you dont need 50HP. You wont need 50HP for a rotary cutter unless you have some seriously thick stuff or need a really large width. How much acreage do you need to mow? Transporting bales is all FEL lift capacity, tractor weight, and rear ballast. Mowing is mostly HP, but you could get by with 25HP and a rotary cutter (many do). Now if you need a 12 foot batwing…thats different!

What you do need is weight (as Jeff mentioned) to move round bales safely (by the way how large are your round bales?) These are goats, not cattle. Are they smaller than 5x5 or 4x5? If so that might lower the weight requirements some.

I also agree go and look at them all. Get on them, operate them in the lot a bit. FEL, forward reverse, adjust seat/steering for comfort, see how well they operate to you.

Lastly, you picked the worst time in the last 20-30 years to buy a tractor. Availability is fairly slim, demand is often high, so prices are pretty high as well. Supply chain issues….so please be patient.
I have a 24hp currently, we just have 14 acres as it is and expanding to 70 acres soon, more as we're able.

I love this rk24 but it is no where near enough, i did my gravel driveway with it and i had to take longer to do it because it would be spinning trying to drag gravel out from the piles they dropped, and moving trees with it, definitely a no go especially on our hills. The 50hp minimum is definitely not for moving bales, its for the other work being done.

Also the 4ft rotary cutter that i have for it does a phenomenal job, cuts through some thick stuff. But i have a whole lot more to do besides bush hogging all day so im going to go as big as i can.

My 30k dollar budget is not for the equipment to go with it, ill buy that stuff out of pocket as i can which wont take to long. so im not going to take away from my tractor budget for it.

And like i said, cab would be nice but not necessary, what my requirements are are the 50hp minimum, 4wd and fel.

/ 30k tractor budget #8  
I recommend you consider a Skid Steer at the same time you consider mid-weight compact tractors. If most of your machine work will be in the woods, a Skid Steer is the better tool.

/ 30k tractor budget
I recommend you consider a Skid Steer at the same time you consider mid-weight compact tractors. If most of your machine work will be in the woods, a Skid Steer is the better tool.
I need the tractor so i can run a bigger bushhog and mower as well.