3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival?

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
To make a long story short I got my 97 Dodge 3500 stuck on the road to the river sandbar. Before I could get it out, a flash flood upstream now has it under water.
The truck only has 67K miles on it. Anyone have any ideas to save the truck? Ken Sweet

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #2  
I think it would be a total loss.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #3  
As long as it wasn't running when it went under it should be fairly easy to resurrect it. Drain and flush all the fluids, (brakes, tranny, engine, differential, transfer case) and pull the injectors to get all the water out of the cylinders. Most of the big wires like the starter will dry out fine. You may have to replace some of the solenoids on the tranny if it's an automatic. Console electronics and the alternator may or may not survive. If you pay to have the work done it's going to cost you a couple grand.

If it was running when it went under, it will take a complete engine rebuild.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #4  
IMO, you are going to be chasing electrical gremlins on that truck for the rest of its days, no matter what you do.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #5  
Same kind of thing happened to my Husqvarna riding mower, i.e. under water for about 4 days. Every part will need to be cleaned and lubricated, or corrosion and/or electrical shorts will occur. It took me about 6 weeks to hand disassemble even just a small lawnmower. Your '97 certainly "could" be saved, but I have serious doubts that you'll want to go through the time and expense.

Unless it has a LOT of sentimental value to you, I'd say it's a goner.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #6  
Save the motor to put in another truck.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #7  
Whats it worth to you? As Josh say's those gremlins will be on overtime.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #9  
Save the engine and chassis drain clean lubricate everything then find a new cab. The computers and wiring will be nothing but a nightmare. Changing the cab is not as hard as it sounds, yes its a lot of work, but you have a good truck why waste it. If it is insured it will be a total loss, as most flood cars/trucks are. It would become a "project truck" for sure.

/ 3500 Dodge diesel under water. Any Hope for revival? #10  
How "underwater"?

6' over the hood, or 6" up the door.