3520 4x4 splined shaft question.

/ 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
My 3520 keeps kicking out of 4wheel drive. I found the problem, but have not determined what the fix is. Seems the splined slip collar moves and lets the shaft slip out of position far enough that the 4wheel drive doesn't work until i crawl under the tractor ann physically move the shaft so it engages.

I know there is a roll pin through each of the 2 slip collars. What is going on that my shaft is moving too much and disengages?

Is there any adjustment on the shaft for end play?

Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20220118-060731.png

/ 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #2  
My Massey disengage off 4x4 too once in a while I wonder what cause that as well ...

/ 3520 4x4 splined shaft question.
   / 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #4  
My 3520 keeps kicking out of 4wheel drive. I found the problem, but have not determined what the fix is. Seems the splined slip collar moves and lets the shaft slip out of position far enough that the 4wheel drive doesn't work until i crawl under the tractor ann physically move the shaft so it engages.

I know there is a roll pin through each of the 2 slip collars. What is going on that my shaft is moving too much and disengages?

Is there any adjustment on the shaft for end play?

Any help would be appreciated.
ho ic since there was a ?? point i thought it was a assumption.

/ 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #5  
The roll pin through the collars are to keep the shaft centered while the roll pins are installed. When they are removed the collars can slip over to either side and the the shaft can be removed.

It sounds like the roll pin is worn off enough to let the collar move and disengage from the driveshaft. It also sounds like the splines are worn.

The fix might be as simple as replacing the roll pins (inexpensive fix). If the splines on the shafts are worn badly then eventually the shafts will need to be replaced (expensive).

Thanks
The roll pin through the collars are to keep the shaft centered while the roll pins are installed. When they are removed the collars can slip over to either side and the the shaft can be removed.

It sounds like the roll pin is worn off enough to let the collar move and disengage from the driveshaft. It also sounds like the splines are worn.

The fix might be as simple as replacing the roll pins (inexpensive fix). If the splines on the shafts are worn badly then eventually the shafts will need to be replaced (expensive).
Thanks, for the quick reply. The weather has been bad the past few days and we got about 8 inches of snow. While plowing the 4wheel drive kicked out several times. I will try and drive out the roll pins and inspect the splines on the shaft and collars.
Thanks for the insight.

Just went through replacing a bunch of sheared bolts on the loader brackets. Drilling out the broken bolts and re tapping when possible. Had to Hela coil a few. NO FUN!

Attachments

• IMG_20210326_165825804_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210326_165825804_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
   / 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #7  
Ditto on possible roll pin failure. Punches designed to be utilized with roll pins makes roll pins much easier to remove

/ 3520 4x4 splined shaft question. #8  
Just went through replacing a bunch of sheared bolts on the loader brackets. Drilling out the broken bolts and re tapping when possible. Had to Hela coil a few. NO FUN!
For the next time buy a few reverse twist drill bits. I don't worry about the size too much I just keep a small, medium and a large one (3/8") laying around. You just start drilling in reverse and once you get a little ways into the broken bolt the bit usually grabs and just turns the broken piece right out. It can save a lot of hassle but don't break the bit off in the hole. Then there are more problems. It's fun watching the faces of someone who has been struggling to remove a bolt when the bit grabs and just spins the bolt out!

Yes, i'm a big believer in left handed drill bits and always keep various sizes on hand.

Just went out and punched one roll pin out and disassemble the intermediate shaft and two collars.
One of the roll pins was broken. Which allowed enough movement for the 4wheel drive to disengage. There is some wear on one end of the shaft and one end of one collar. I think once its reassemble and roll pins replaced it will be okay.

At worse it will wear out the one end of the collar and one end of the shaft. Otherwise i think it will work fine once i put it back together. No wear on the collar ends that attach to the trans shaft and front differential shaft.

Appreciate the fast replies and help.

Sincerely,
dirt