3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up'

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #71  
With contaminated oil it’s likely filled the exhaust with crap. If it has a DPF consider it plugged. Would account for tons of smoke and no throttle. I’m with others on the decompression adjustment with that nut on the valve cover. May have twisted it thinking it was nothing.

For sure your dealing with a few compound issues here. Not just a simple single issue. Valve cover is key #1 then try the injection suggestions to see if one of them sucked in debris.

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #72  
My Branson 2800 started "smoking white/gray smoke very similar to yours. It would run rough and smoke when first started, then after 15 or 20 minutes, would even out and run OK until the next time I did a cold start. The dealer was too busy to schedule a "now appointment" so I decided to do my own troubleshooting. Having had diesel pickups for years, in cold weather, if you don't let the glow plugs warm up, the same "white/gray exhaust" would happen with them. So I did resistance measurements on my three glow plugs, the center one was open, the other two measured correct resistance. I bought 3 new ones, installed them and started it up after the delay light went out. NO SMOKE in the exhaust....

While this may not be your problem, the video you posted with the smoking exhaust is EXACTLY what my tractor was doing. It may not be your problem, but after all the manhours and parts thrown at it, if you haven't removed the glow plug harness and used an ohmmeter to check resistance, I'd do that before going down the next "rabbit hole" ..... Fixed mine and I have two "spare glow plugs" for the next time... Talking to other cummins 1100CC diesel owners, some with lots more knowledge and experience than me, the center glow plug tends to be the first to go and it always causes "white/gray exhaust" until the tractor finally warms up.....

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #73  
My Kubota tractor had a leaking o ring in the fuel pump tube assembly and filled my oil pan with diesel fuel. The tractor then ran off the oil diesel mixture even when the key was turned off. When it did so. It smoked a lot and I mean alot. It also would suction the fuel oil mixture on its own from the oil pan and continue running. Is there a chance that the o rings between the fuel pump and the intake need to be replaced? If it is sucking oil from the oil pan like mine it could be causing the idle and smoking issues. My tractor had low hours when this occurred. I purchased an $80 rebuild kit for the whole fuel rail assembly and changed out all the o rings and gaskets and it fixed the problem. The whole repair took 45 minutes after a month of asking questions and scratching my head.

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #74  
Hi all,

You all helped myself and my neighbor diagnose a problem with his Kioti LB1914 several months ago.

Another problem came up with the machine, I have a video of the issue.

He said it started to take a while for the engine to warm up, clear out the smoke and have any throttle response, and eventually, just stopped warming up at all.

I went over there and helped him swap a lift pump, and I discovered the oil was filling up with diesel. That fixed that issue, but still having the warm up issue.

Injectors are $250-300/ea and an injection pump is $1300, so I'm hoping to narrow down the issue.

What do y'all think?

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Sounds like a fuel issue. Water or plugged filter.

Misleading to say it is a "warm-up" problem. But can understand what you mean after watching the video. Good luck.

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up'
Thank you all for the suggested and comments.

Here's the result:

-Injectors were checked (not by me)
-Glow plugs were checked
-Valve cover removed and inspected.
-Oil changed

Reassembly, torqued cover to proper spec which solved the decompression lever issue.

Finding nothing else wrong, the tractor has been run for several days, brush hogged, tilled with it, etc.

Oil remained clean (so the fuel pump fixed that part), coolant remained clean.

The smoke begin to clear up, so, as others suggested earlier on, it appears the exhaust was chock-full of contamination and unburnt fuel. It appears after burning it all off, everything has returned back to normal.

So, hopefully that's helpful for someone else in the future. K.I.S.S principal for certain!

The neighbor is back on his tractor and has continued to avoid tractor replacement (fingers crossed)

Thanks everyone!!

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #76  
Good updates are always appreciated, glad things worked out.

Mike

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up'
If anything changes, I will be sure to update you all.

/ 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #78  
   / 3cyl Diesel Not 'Warming Up' #79  
If the tractor is not heating up could it be the
thermostat is not closing or don't have one???

willy