3M headlight lense restoration

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #21  
It's pretty simple. Just sand to progressively finer grits, I go to 2000. Then buff, degrease and clearcoat. Its permanent and I've never had to warranty one.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #22  
Stay faaaar away from lacquer. Those solvents will chew up PC like nothing. The siloxanes are in an alcohol base which is about as strong a solvent as PC can take. Like I said, I know of nothing available retail that does the same thing.

Pure Caranuba wax is very, very hard, which is why it is such a beyotch to buff out, and furthermore why it is always blended with something else softer. If you can find it, it is probably your best bet. It is hard to find it pure but can be done. You might have better luck finding it in woodworking or wood turning suppliers.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #23  
2000 isn't enough for a lens, really. The buffing compounds are much finer.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration
Hmm.. we have polycarbonate safety glasses and face shields at work. we frequently use natha and even brak cleaner to remove paints and such from them.. never had an issue. i see the spray thinner for that siloxane is isobutanol, which is quite a bit more than rubbing alcohol ;) I realize it is classed as an alcohol.. but.. it is also used in the production of laquer, and as a paint solvent, and varnish remover as well. Also used as a motor fuel as late as 2010.. etc.. that stuff gets around!

soundguy

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #25  
dstig1 said:
2000 isn't enough for a lens, really. The buffing compounds are much finer.

That's why you buff it after you sand. Then clean with wax and grease remover and paint with automotive clear coat. I'm not speculating here. This is what works, trust me.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #26  
<Italian mode> That's-a-because they are coated.... See my first post on why they coat them :) Although you are pushing it with brake cleaner... Naptha isn't a too nasty solvent for most stuff.

Isobutanol is a higher alcohol, so it is a less powerful solvent. It's actually one more carbon up from rubbing alcohol (iso-propanol). Methanol is generally the nastiest alcohol. Methanol-ethanol-propanol-butanol-pentanol-hexanol...and on up.

But you said lacquer. Lacquer thinner is a blend of several very nasty solvents. That is a real killer.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #27  
That's why you buff it after you sand. Then clean with wax and grease remover and paint with automotive clear coat. I'm not speculating here. This is what works, trust me.
Sorry - didn't read close enough to where you said buff.

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #28  
Man actually I didn't mean to come across like that, sorry. I just do this stuff for a living and I was hoping to maybe save everyone some trial and error. BTW, if you don't clear the lens it will fade again eventually. HTH

/ 3M headlight lense restoration #29  
No prob here! :thumbsup:

Again, by the time this happens, the car is quite old and you can't expect them to last forever. The "wash, rinse, repeat" cycle would only be if you kept cars for 20 yrs or so...

/ 3M headlight lense restoration
Man actually I didn't mean to come across like that, sorry. I just do this stuff for a living and I was hoping to maybe save everyone some trial and error. BTW, if you don't clear the lens it will fade again eventually. HTH

I may try this. I also have a tractor and lawnmower with frosted lenses from age. I'll do them next week, then clear coat and see what it looks like.. if it looks good, I'll clear my others.

soundguy