3PH question on dk40se

/ 3PH question on dk40se #1  

carpenter383

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I bought a 6ft box blade from my neighbor for my new tractor. The problem is it dosen't seem to drop down very far. Both levers are all the way down and it only seems to go about level with the bottom of the back tires. I tried playing with the toplink adjustment which will tilt the blade at the back and allow it to contact the ground better, but it still seems like it should go down further. The toplink hole is in "b" (center) if that makes any difference. My neighbor has a new holland tractor, and a 3ph impliment will drop down well below the back tires if going over a hill etc. Anyone have any thoughts? Could it be something to do with the geometry of the box blade?

/ 3PH question on dk40se #2  
I noticed in the pics of your tractor, you are at the upper most adjustment on your lift arm pin. If you will notice, as you are facing your tractor from the rear, on the left 3ph arm, there is a linkage that connects your 3ph arm to the actual hydraulic lift arm. On the end that attaches to the hitch arm, there are 3 holes for adjustment that a pin goes into. Yours is in the highest hole. Go ahead and drop it down to the bottom one. As for the right side, as you can see it has a crank adjustment so after you make the adjustment on the left, just crank the right one down to match it. Should give you just what you need.
Hopefully that will solve your problem.

/ 3PH question on dk40se
Thanks for the reply I tried that already (those pics were prior to adjustment) It helped, but still seems like it should go down further. Next time I take the tractor out I'll try and get a pic of the box blade depth at full drop when I'm cresting a hill. It will dig on level ground but just dosent seem like it goes as far down as it should when I go over a hill..... Also I'm still not quite sure what draft control is used for. Does it keep the implement from rising as easy?

/ 3PH question on dk40se #4  
Tho' I don't fully understand how the draft control works, when the draft lever is all the way down, it should make your implement go deeper with pressure to hold it there. I'm also thinking you should have the top link in the bottom hole to get the most from the draft control.

/ 3PH question on dk40se #5  
Steve I could be wrong here, but I am thinking that there is never a time when a 3ph ever applies any down pressure. For some reason that is sticking in my head. I am not 100% sure what the draft control is for, I never use it. But it seems that it would be a type of adjustment that determines how deep the implement is allowed to dig. Now I am going to have to go research it!

/ 3PH question on dk40se #6  
Ground engagement equipment requires force to pull it through the ground. Hence the word "draft". Draft control allows one to set the depth of penetration by force of the pull (draft) of a ground engagement implement. I works by lifting the implement upon increased resistance, and dropping it upon less resistence. No down pressure involved.

/ 3PH question on dk40se #7  
I re-read my manual on using the draft function..........and now I'm more confused than ever. All I know (I think) is that if you use a disk, then experiment with the 3 top link holes and the draft lever. I think you'll get the deepest use from the bottom hole and the draft lever in the deeper (down) position. I think. :D

Deputy is correct but it's still confusing.

/ 3PH question on dk40se #8  
I re-read my manual on using the draft function..........and now I'm more confused than ever. All I know (I think) is that if you use a disk, then experiment with the 3 top link holes and the draft lever. I think you'll get the deepest use from the bottom hole and the draft lever in the deeper (down) position. I think. :D

Deputy is correct but it's still confusing.

The bottom hole gives you the greatest draft control. I use it for pushing backwards with a box blade or snowblower (so it doesn't dig). I use the middle for plowing, raking and ripping with the box blade. I use the top hole for discing (hydraulic wheels set depth).

I usually drop the implement, and begin to engage. Then I adjust the draft control lever until I get the proper depth, and/or proper relief from wheel slippage or engine strain.

/ 3PH question on dk40se
Well I played around with my 3ph today and I think the problem must have been a binding issue. I adjusted the stabilizer bars that connect from the hitch arms to the tractor and it will drop further now......Draft control is still confusing to me too. I can have the 3ph height control lever all the way down and the draft lever will still raise the box blade. I can have the height control lever all the way up then pull the draft lever all the way up and the box blade will raise just a little more still. I think deputyrpa is right, draft control just automatically sets the impliment's hieght.

/ 3PH question on dk40se #10  
Well I played around with my 3ph today and I think the problem must have been a binding issue. I adjusted the stabilizer bars that connect from the hitch arms to the tractor and it will drop further now......Draft control is still confusing to me too. I can have the 3ph height control lever all the way down and the draft lever will still raise the box blade. I can have the height control lever all the way up then pull the draft lever all the way up and the box blade will raise just a little more still. I think deputyrpa is right, draft control just automatically sets the impliment's hieght.

Sure, the draft control can lift the implement with the position control all the way down. However, the lift arm pins on my plow are substantially higher than those of the box blade. With the draft at shallow and the position control down, it's still on the ground. One needs to have that amount of draft adjustment available to deal with various lift pin heights and penetration depths.