Snowblower 3point Snowblower

/ 3point Snowblower #1  

07 LMM LTZ

Silver Member
Tractor
L 3940 HSTC
What are some of the better brand snowblower for homeowner use. I’m looking to buy a 72” 3 point blower and wondering which brands work best. Have looked at an MK Martin seems like a nice unit.

/ 3point Snowblower #2  
I've had two MK Martins. Very happy with them. Regular and inverted. I have nothing to compare them too.

/ 3point Snowblower #3  
What are some of the better brand snowblower for homeowner use. I’m looking to buy a 72” 3 point blower and wondering which brands work best. Have looked at an MK Martin seems like a nice unit.

I have an MK Martin. I've had it several years, very happy with it. I have a 78". I do a lot of territory with it, lots of driveway and farm use.

Get both the hydraulic rotate and deflect if you have two remotes.

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_181859.jpg
    IMG_20240129_181859.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 42
   / 3point Snowblower #4  
Depends on your budget and your pto HP And width of your tractor and how much snow you get.

I have an MK Martin 87”. Great unit. Seems tough. It is the largest my 75C can handle and I sometimes have to go real slow. Other folks seem to be able to handle pretty big units. But snow blowers take every ounce of pto hp.

I had a woodmax 60” before and those are reasonable $$ and was good quality.

/ 3point Snowblower #5  
I had a standard 3-point blower - the Blue Machine. Don't think they are still in business.

How well your blower will work depends a whole lot on the snow conditions. I always cleared my mile long gravel driveway - early in the morning. Snow would frozen, crisp - easily chewed up and blown.

If the snow gets really deep and you start to bog down - just reduce the total width of your cut.

I had 26 engine Hp for a 60 inch blower. Anything a foot deep or less - I could always take a full width cut.

Drifted areas - raise the blower and "do" the area in two passes. Once a path is cut thru the drift - do the remainder taking half width cuts.

/ 3point Snowblower #6  
for sure your idea of a MK Martin is a top shelf idea.

In western Canada farm king/buhler is a real standard that seem to live forever as well. its what i use but would be proud to own a MK Martin even more.

/ 3point Snowblower #7  
Which one of the four models of the L3940 mule do you have???

Does your mule have the 8 speed, 12 speed or hydrostatic transmission?

The Pronovost family has made farm machinery for 5+ decades and
they make excellent snow blowers for heavy Canadian winters.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how many
bells and whistles you want.

A hydrostatic transmission eats horsepower and useable torque so
don't believe everything you hear or see from an implement dealer.

A heavier weight snow blower will have thicker steel and replaceable
wear edges and adjustable skids or extremely thick skids welded to
the side weldments of the snow blowers.

The more you spend on a heavy weight snow blower the longer it will
last and it will outlast your current mules and can be used on the next
larger frame size of mule/tractor.

The issue of which snow blower works best question is as debatable as
Punxatauney Phil or Weirton Willies predictions on the coming spring
arrival time.

My personal preference would be for a Pronovost snow blower for your
mules engine frame size which would be the following units for consumer use;

LYNX 74

Regular PUMA 64

GROUP 1 P-720 P720 TRC

If you have 2 or 3 sets of rear remotes on your L3940 that will give you the ability
to have a hydraulic chute rotation control, spout tilt control and if you have a third
remote it will let you use the impeller drum rotation mode of the P-720 TRC model
to discharge heavy wet snow left or right without plugging the snow blower.

MK Martin made the HUGE mistake of not using the identical design for thier single
stage snow blowers "as designed" by Riest Industries for single stage snow blowers
for your size mule as they use a much larger snow thrower rotor than they should
be using which translates to not having enough deliverable torque through the
drive train to provide the PTO speed to maintain the snow thrower rotor speed of
600-700 RPM in deep and wet snow. A thirteen inch single snow thrower rotor is
the best size for any single stage snow thrower under 50 horsepower.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / 3point Snowblower #8  
I am a 72” MK Martin owner and wouldn’t buy the same blower again
The shoes are crap, I never saw another blower with shoes like mine.
The owners manual says to use 1/4 by 1 inch shear pin for the auger but it fits the hole very loosely, the next size bigger bolt in metric or USA simply won’t fit.
The cutting blade is not replaceable.
MK Martin probably does build much better blowers than mine.
It mostly works pretty decent but if I was buying another blower I would know more about what to look for next time.
The first 2 years I owned it I used it quite a bit but last year I bought a 9 foot rear blade that weighs 1400 pounds and haven’t used the blower since.
This year and last year we have had very little snow.

Last edited:
   / 3point Snowblower #9  
There were a couple things I DID NOT like about using a 3-point blower.

Having to drive in reverse. I have a mile long gravel driveway - a large mailbox area - my yard. By the time I got these three areas cleared - my neck and shoulders were stiff/sore for a couple days.

Shear pins. I would shear, at least, three pins the first time I cleared all the snow. One or two on subsequent events. Rocks, sticks, ice chunks - they all took a toll.

In 2009 I bought my brand new Kubota M6040. I ditched the blower and bought a heavy duty Rhino rear blade. I clear the three areas in one third the time now and no stiff neck or shoulders.