3pt ballast design questions

/ 3pt ballast design questions #1  

PreacherM

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2610h
I'm looking for some input on building a 3pt ballast box for my Branson 2610h. My first, and main question is concerning how heavy to make it. I plan to make it out of concrete. Simple rectangle/cube shape. Weight will be centered at or just behind the pivot ends. My tractor is rated to lift approx 1500 at the link ends. Is 600lbs a good goal? Or is there some formula I should be using to calculate leverage effect on front axle, etc?

/ 3pt ballast design questions #2  
600 should be plenty for a tractor that size. the tractor i run the most will handle its full 2200lb lift capacity with a 1200lb implement behind it just fine. Just curious though, is there a reason you wouldnt want to do fluid filled rear tires instead? I built a 1000lb weight box a while back for snow plowing to run along with fluid in both the front and rear tires for the sake of traction, but thats the only use it gets. The box i built isnt completely full of concrete but has a compartment for storage. I made up some extra weight by tossing a bunch of scrap steel in with the concrete. I think if i wasnt going for something so purpose built for snow plowing i wouldve just filled it with sand and scrap steel so i could repurpose it later
20161204_144700.jpg
if i wanted.

/ 3pt ballast design questions #3  
Check owners manual, mine has a some what dubious wording on how to calculate needed weight.... I simply made a steel box out of angle iron and flat plate and set it up to match my CAT 1 QH... Box is 2x2x1 feet (4 cubic feet) and weigh in maybe 600 pounds (in some cases it may be too big for tractor size) .... By all information gathered on i-net concrete weighs in at about 150 pounds per cubic foot....

But the are other options, may be cast iron bar bell weights.... Actual tractor "suit case" weights, maybe old engine block, box of rocks...

ballast-jpg.570572

ballast-box-jpg.595862

20190513_134544-jpg.677106

Caped off tubes (spray can tops) are ABS pipe inserted all way to bottom as tool holders...

Also site search for "ballast weight" may turn up a lot of different ideas or solutions...

Last edited:
   / 3pt ballast design questions #4  
A couple of manuals recommended a 3-point ballast of a weight that was about 2/3 loader capacity.

Bruce

/ 3pt ballast design questions #5  
I strongly recommend filled rear tires as a first step, beet juice is a good fill.

My first tractor, a Kubota M4700 (45 hp) was 2wd and did fine without rear weight until I added a loader. It performed poorly with the loader and was dangerous going downhill with a loaded bucket. I tried a 55 gallon drum of concrete on the 3pt, it helped a bit but not enough. That was about 1100 pounds.

That tractor was replaced by a similar sized M5040, 4wd, and loaded rear tires. No problems at all using the loader. Of course the 4wd he3ps but it never feels light in the rear. IIRC, there may be 800# per tire. Loading the tires has the advantage of putting the weight on the tire tread, not on the tractor frame, bearngs, etc. Likewise my bigger M9540 has loaded rear tires. No loader on it but it pulls a 4400# batwing mower and a round basler up nd down our steep hills. I've had both tractors over a dozen years now.

The barrel full of concrete has been sitting down in a junk pile for a long time if anyone wants it, LOL.

Ken

/ 3pt ballast design questions
I already have fluid filled rear tires. Just moving dirt or hravel that is sufficient. I want some additional weight that I can put on, mainly for when I use pallet forks or possibly a grapple in the future. I want to gain some stability at near max lift, but mostly looking to save the front axle.

At the same time, I don't want it to be extremely heavy, since I'll be putting a 2" receiver in it for pulling trailers. Need to allow some capacity for handling tongue weight.

/ 3pt ballast design questions #7  
Search forum the is several posting of ballast weight on receiver hitches.... Only thing you have to be pretty accurate backing into hitch arrangement, not much room for misalignment...

Last edited:
   / 3pt ballast design questions #8  
A large ammo can filled with Lee and Lyman lead ingots gave me around 600 lbs. That on the three point will give more force on the tires than all the beet juice you can fill.

/ 3pt ballast design questions #9  
Is 600lbs a good goal? Or is there some formula I should be using to calculate leverage effect on front axle, etc?
I had a wood stove that I never used. it came with the building. It's huge 40 sumpin inches on one side, nothing on it is thinner than 1/4". it weighs maybe 400 pounds all by itself I welded tabs to it filled it with rocks and now it is so heavy that I can do this and there is no rear wheel lift

/ 3pt ballast design questions #10  
I ended up using approximately half of my tractors 3 point lift capacity on my ballast build. My New Holland TC45D has a 3pt rating of 3275lbs at the pins and 2330lbs at 24” behind the pins. I chose a target weight of 1500 -1600 lbs with a center of gravity at 12” behind the pins. A key factor was I wanted to be able to move the ballast around with loader/pallet forks. The capacity of tractor’s loader (NH 16LA) is 2317 lbs at the pins and 1759lbs at 24”. I can safely move it around
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
with my 550 lbs box blade on the the 3 point and 600 lbs of cast iron weights on the wheels.