3pt log splitter

/ 3pt log splitter #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
so short rant on 3pt log splitter.

why is it its impossible to find a decent 3pt log splitter for less than $1000?

i mean inexpensive stand alone units can be had for like $600. and that includes like $400 in parts i dont need.

dont need a 5hp engine
dont need a pump
dont need a filter/filterbase
dont need a return/reserve tank

harborfeight used to carry one that was exactly what i wanted. but of course they dont anymore.

I dont need a transformable vertical splitter. I hate splitters that split wood on the ram, dumping all the split wood right were you want to stand to operate it. push it off the end like its supposed to!

when i try to shop the parts, i end up putting together a material list thats like $600 worth of parts, and that doesnt include hoses or fittings, and i have my own beam, AND it would take a day to weld/assemble.

might as well buy a junk one off CL for $500 and start with that :rolleyes:

Weres TED.... hey EA! get on a 3pt splitter for $600!

/ 3pt log splitter #2  
   / 3pt log splitter
well thats closer.... (the 14ton one)

now put a 20 or 25 ton cylinder on it, reverse the wedge and stop list it for $550 (so i could get it to me for ~$600) and youd sell them like hotcakes

/ 3pt log splitter #4  
I wouldn't want a cylinder more than 4" with the flow I get from my tractors. I think high tonnage is overrated just like lawnmower horsepower. It's a number that consumers look at to compare models. 28,000lb will split most any wood that's worth splitting.

Check out this Ramsplitter. "16 ton" and the cylinder is 3.5". How many tractors have a 3300psi hydraulic relief? 14 tons from a 4" cylinder takes a reasonable 2230psi.

Ramsplitter 3PT16H - 16-Ton Horizontal 3 Point Tractor Log Splitter

Edit: Funny thing is most users will be tickled with the performance of that Ramsplitter and will never realize it can only produce 11 tons of force with their tractor.

/ 3pt log splitter
but again, i dont consider the build quality on that to be $800 worth of machine. I can buy a standalone unit for like $850 and that includes a engine and pump!

i mean the ram on that is like $150
Surplus Center - 3.5X20X1.375 DA TIE ROD HYD CYL

here is a 5" ram for $200
Surplus Center - 5x24x2 HYDRAULIC DA LOG SPLITTER CYLINDER

that I beam doesnt look overbuilt, doesnt have splitting table wings... nothing about that 3pt splitter screams im worth $800

edit- i seem to be continuing my rant....

/ 3pt log splitter #6  
I have to agree with Brad_Blazer's statement on tonnage being overrated. I bought this light weight Kelley splitter used for $350. It only has a 3.5 inch cylinder, but it has split everything I have thrown at it. It is not over built, I can lift it slightly to move it across the floor in the barn. Sorry the pictures are not better. They are from an old phone that had a bad camera.

Attachments

• KelleySplitter..jpg
    KelleySplitter..jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1,520
  • KelleySplitter1.jpg
    KelleySplitter1.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 477
  • KelleySplitter3.jpg
    KelleySplitter3.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 315
  • KelleySplitter2.jpg
    KelleySplitter2.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 547
   / 3pt log splitter #7  
Cant help you with a $500 splitter but i did a lot of research on 3pt splitters mine just arrived today its a SplitFire. The 3pt 2 way is about $1000 and its not made in China rather Canada. The Norhern tool essentially copied this design with a few tweaks to make it shorter. Its a 14 Ton but claim 20 ton equivalent due to their unique stop block being more efficent than a traditional plate.
Split-Fire Sales Inc. :: 3403 Woodsplitter :: Quality Built. High Performance. Split-Fire - Your Best Choice

My New Splitter
My Custom Ordered Split Fire log splitter

/ 3pt log splitter #8  
We have been using an old home made splitter with a 4" cylinder and small hoses i was not impressed with the cycle time and always having to wait for it to return. I guess some of the new valves are auto return but the Splitfire does not need this feature. Their customer support is awesome and they will custom build to your liking.
Here are their list prices. my dealer was about $130 under list.

Wood Splitters Model # List Price Back Freight
3pt Standard Models (GPM)
2203 4 $999 $35
3203 5 230 $1,106 $39
3403 5 230-4 $1,562 $55
4203 10+ 240 $1,752 $61
4403 10+ 240-4 $2,658 $93