4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #11  
All depends on how often you want to buy new tires....I rarely use front wheel assist myself.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #12  
There's really no debate.

4WD assist couples the front and rear together so that the rear brakes can help on hills. That is helpful because compact tractors don't have front brakes.

Otherwise, most all compact tractors have a 4wd ASSIST - not full time 4wd. They are designed to be in 4wd only part of the time in poor traction.
If they were designed for full time 4wd there would be a differential between the front and rear driveshafts and there is not.

Sure you can use them all the time in 4wd, but running a 4wd assist full time puts unnecessary wear on the drive system because of the lack of a driveline differential.

rScotty

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #13  
Most large tractors don't have front brakes either. Some do like a JCB Fastrak but most don't. Both mine have front ring and pinion sets and are capable of mechanical lockup, just like the rear axle is. Only use FWA when necessary.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #14  
4WD assist couples the front and rear together so that the rear brakes can help on hills ...

Sure you can use them all the time in 4wd, but running a 4wd assist full time puts unnecessary wear on the drive system because of the lack of a driveline differential.

rScotty
Agreed. Plus when in 4wd, the turning radius gets larger. If 4wd on grass, the grass gets torn up as well.

In reference to the comment 'helping on hills', 4wd gives you 4 wheel brakes which can be mighty important in a lot of situations. I have 3 full size JD (5000, 6000, 7000) and note that when I apply both brakes simultaneously, those tractors automatically engage the 4wd electronic solenoid, meaning that they automatically have 4 wheel brakes.

If pulling something heavy that could "overrun" your tractor due to mass or incline, engaging 4wd may be very important.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #15  
I have 3 full size JD (5000, 6000, 7000) and note that when I apply both brakes simultaneously, those tractors automatically engage the 4wd electronic solenoid, meaning that they automatically have 4 wheel brakes.
When you do not have automatic applied 4w drive, in those hairy cases, I suggest safe rather than sorry. Engage the 4w drive before finding out you should have!

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #16  
On ground like pavement or hard packed gravel this is true, but on grass, soil, sand, loose gravel etc. the looseness of the material you are operating on acts as a de facto differential allowing the wheels to work a slightly different speeds without undo stress.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #17  
I only use 4WD when I know it's going to be needed. Maybe 2% to 3% of my time is in 4WD.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #18  
I would agree that only use it when you need 4wd. However, I am in the Ozarks. Nothing is flat. If you take it out of 4wd, you better know when you will need it before it happens. My road is steep and gravel. After all the times and all the work I have done on the road, I should have remembered when I took it out of 4wd. I put a gas generator (200 pounds) chained to the front bucket. I did not attach the box blade as usual. Went slowly down the road, decided to slow down a little, couldn't. Applied the brakes - slid 18 feet before getting it stopped. Couldn't put the bucket down to the ground - hauling the generator on chain hooks. I thought to myself - Damn idiot - will you never learn? I know it increases wear on the front axle gears, but maybe that is the price of operating on hilly property. I have liquid in the tires. .

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #19  
I'm with Mike, I only use 4X4 when needed
I have used 4X4 2 times in 79 hours of use.
kinda flat here nice slope high in the back and
low in the front approx 3 foot drop in 1200 feet

willy

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #20  
Went slowly down the road, decided to slow down a little, couldn't. Applied the brakes - slid 18 feet before getting it stopped. Couldn't put the bucket down to the ground - hauling the generator on chain hooks. I thought to myself - Damn idiot - will you never learn?
Were you sitting in the same seat with me? See my earlier post.. did exactly the same as you.. hit the steepest part of our hill, had to make a 90 degree turn, the rears locked and sliding... I stopped about 200 yards downhill... It is a horrible feeling...

I uttered similar words.. !@$@# Idiot! What the !@#!$ were you thinking! Right - you weren't! Go fast, don't think, then you may be seriously injured or die.

Funny, after that episode.... every time I approached the first drop on the hill, I tested that I was in fact in 4w drive, that I could in fact slow down.

A great lesson in humility.