4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif
Thank you for all the replys! The understanding I have is that the Chevy rear locking diff is not the same as the Fords limited slip and is much better. I had a few Fords, the last one was an 04 F250, and I was not impressed with the limited slip.:mad: I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has the Chevy rear locking diff without the 4wd? Do you wish you had 4wd?

Thanks, Brian:)

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #12  
Jimbrown said:
There is no limited slip in a GM g80 semi locking rear axel. It works on weights and if one wheel exceeds the other by a given amount it positevely locks up. No clutches at all.

The Eaton G-80 uses a centrifugal locking/unlocking mechanism that activates on one rear wheel spinning at only 100+ rpm than the other, but limited to 20 mph. It’s completely mechanical, and foolproof, to the point that Lexus could advertise it as the next invention of the wheel. We need to advertise this test, and the G80 at the same level, and we need to advertise that we’ve made it standard on Z-71’s since practically the beginning of time.

Since the G80 uses a physical/mechanical locking of the rear axle shafts, owners will not encounter the wear symptoms associated with friction-based limited-slips.
workinallthetime said:
long ago in rear diff class they had this cool vid.
1st truck - open diff
2nd truck -limited slip
3rd truck -locking diff
these were all 80's model trucks so thats how old the vid was but the facts are the same from then to now. they had a wet ramp that the trucks had to climb up from a dead stop.
1st truck pulled up the ramp until the rear tires made contact then it just had the 1 wheel squeel and didnt go up it at all
2nd truck pulled up about half way then the speed of the tires disengaged the limited slip due to rpm's at the tire (something like 2800) the limited slip "unlocks" at that speed
3rd the locker- had to stop at the top of the ramp, drove right up it no problem tires spun the entire way up.

im not aware of gm offering anything but either an open or locked rear diff in trucks since 92. i have seen the limited slip in trans am's and z28's but never in a truck.
like was said g80 is a locking rear diff that does not unlock until you stop the truck. bad thing about a locker in a 2 wheel drive is it tends to put you sideways on a slippery surface. if you have a locker and 4x4 then the most you can hope for is 3 wheel drive because gm does not put lockers in the front diff. as for the wheel hop in a corner with a locker ive seen it, this happens when you dont service your rear diff and things get sticky.

i will never own a 2 wheel drive truck again, love the insurence of the 4x4 and i have not noticed any decrese in mpg.
rides smooth and drives great.

Thank you. I stand humbly educated on this topic.

Still remains, that there isn't a true full-time 4-wheel drive truck without a locking gear installed. My **** compulsive opinion is that the terminology "4-wheel drive" just isn't completely true.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #13  
crbr
you are correct there is no true 4 wheels pulling trucks availble without a locking front diff that i am aware of.
the problem is that a true 4 wheel drive can not drive on the dry streets due to turning problems. if you are locked into 4 wheels and go to turn on dry ground you will probably break something in the front diff, due to one wheel is bearly turning and one wheel is turning alot. people who buy trucks and drive them everyday would be breaking stuff left and right when they pulled out of the mud ontop the street.
the rock crawlers and mud buggies have lockers and a straight axel front end. this is something you could install yourself but should not be run on the dry streets for those reasons.
im sure there are specialty trucks built with front lockers but not something you would want to drive day to day.

i use my auto 4x4 function in the heavy rain, this keeps the front end from pulling to one side when you hit a big puddle, i use 4 hi in the snow and mud and 4 low to pull in the dirt .

lets get muddy !!!
woohooo tornado warning till 5 around here, i once met a guy from cali who was lost and asked for directions.
he said "i dont mind when the earth shakes but when stuff starts falling from the sky im scared, how far away is that tornado?"
i said " ohh its 15 miles that way and headed west your fine"
lol

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #14  
high loader,

i would get both the locker and the 4x4, that is a great combo and i always get both, the cost is a bit more but you will be very happy im sure. dont forget to change your spin on trans filter at 3k and transfer the magnet from the old filter to the new.
check your rear diff fluid and make sure it is full every oil change. they vent when they get hot sometimes.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #15  
workinallthetime said:
......lets get muddy !!!
woohooo

I have been down that road too my friend

:tiphat:

This is one of an 11-vehicle jaunt. Only one guy had lockers. He made it through this hole with ease, the others had to skip through it the best they could. The bearded guy is not me... :D

(click on thumb)

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #16  
A 4WD truck with true lockers front & rear would be a catastrophic failure on ice or packed slippery snow. Ask me how I know.

I've plowed snow with dozens of differently configured trucks and the easiest to handle is a 4x4 with open rears, next best is a 4x4 with a gentle rear locker or L/S.

I know-I know, everyone's gonna disagree, but you can actually have "too much traction" while plowing or driving over ice. Just enough traction is the best. The reasons are many, but the most important are:

1. A truck with hard lockers that start to engage on ice will tend to start the truck into a sideways sliding motion and you'll end up facing the traffic that was once behind your tailgate with a wet feeling in your pants. A front hard locker will just slide sideways in a turn on ice causing a loss of control.

2. Since there's a lot of turning involved in plowing, the wear on the locking rears, the tires and the axle assemblies is substantial.

The best plow truck would have an excellent set of snow tires, maybe even some studded snows and a nice 1/2-1 ton weight in the bed.

Very predictacle, easy on wear & tear and still gets great traction.

Hard lockers are best in deep mud, off road work where there's no sliding sideways across frozen pavement getting you or someone else killed.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #17  
i agree with l39
i had a guy tell me the best plow truck he had for that deep oklahoma snow,lol, was a 1/2 ton, chains or studs, and weight. seems crazy till you think about it.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #18  
We debated the same thing before getting our Dodge Ram 2500 to pull a 3-horse slant. We were told by relatives with horse trailers that we needed 4wd. They were right. We use 4wd much more than I had expected when moving the horse trailer off pavement, even in dry conditions that would otherwise provide good traction. I think 2wd would be ok if you were only ever on pavement or had lots of 4wd trucks nearby whenever you were off pavement. Otherwise, I think 4wd is worth the cost.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #19  
HighLoader said:
Thank you for all the replys! The understanding I have is that the Chevy rear locking diff is not the same as the Fords limited slip and is much better. I had a few Fords, the last one was an 04 F250, and I was not impressed with the limited slip.:mad: I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has the Chevy rear locking diff without the 4wd? Do you wish you had 4wd?

Thanks, Brian:)

I had a 90 K series Blazer for about 4yrs. In 4 yrs of winter driving I NEVER used 4wd for daily driving (Snow belt area of NE Ohio). The G80 locking diff did quit well. I would engage 4wd thelp prevent tearing up a soft yard when I need to drive through one. The only time that I used 4wd when it was truely necessary was when I was to lazy to walk through snow plowed up blocking a driveway that I wanted to access one cold winter day. (I should note that my neighbor, who does snowplowing and bought the Blazer from me, said it worked really well for him this past winter.)

For the Envoy (w/G80) that we still own I had my wife put it in A4wd on snowy days. I would use 4wd on snowy days when I needed to cross a busy road. That was until I replaced the original tires at 50,000 miles. The new tires have made a big difference. I also use 4wd just like I did with the Blazer, but due to the shorter turning radius I have to be careful with binding.

If money is not an issue then the extra price for 4wd could be a cheap, time saving purchase if the need for 4wd should arrive.

Kurt

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #20  
There is one more advantage of 4wd in the 2500 HD. It has a 4wd LOW range. If you want to slowly move a heavy load at idle or just above, that is the way to go. It also gives you much more control backing up a loaded trailer.

I have a '03 2500 duramax/alison 4wd with locking rear - 17.59 mpg lifetime average with 20,000 of 60,000 miles towing 9500# of trailer. IF you want milage, well can't get it anymore. You need a manual transmission (only from Dodge) and 2wd and you need to use the non USLD fuel. I am seeing a 1 to 1.5 mpg loss this year with the only known change being the change in fuel. Still, it beats the milage with an 8.1 or 6.0

Hey Workinallthetime - hows the milage with the variable displacement engine?

jb