4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #31  
L39Builder said:
Neither of your trucks were equipped with G-80 locking rears.

The G-80 is an 11.5" locking rear developed for the GM HD pickups. Before the G-80 (pre '01) GM had a GM in house 14 bolt rear.

Much too big for a Blazer or Envoy..... Your Envoy probably has about a 9" rear and your Blazer, if you were lucky, had a 14 bolt, but might have been smaller.

I see where workin has already posted the information that I was going to. Just for some extra info it also currently being used on the Canyon/Colorado.

Also be aware that some vehicles may list a G80 and not be a locker but limited slip. (GTO, Cobalt, and 4500 and up)

Attached are some pictures an Eatons sample unit.

Also, depends on who you ask... positraction was a version of limited slip. If I remember correctly from my last trip to Eaton they said it was limited slip (once again only if I remember correctly as it has been almost 2yrs) but they used a different clutch pack from what other manufactures use (whatever that means). This site seems to verify that it is the same as limited slip. Enjoy The Drive -- A Better Rear End.

Kurt

Attachments

• G80.JPG
    G80.JPG
    868.2 KB · Views: 120
  • G80 End view.JPG
    G80 End view.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 104
   / 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #32  
My cousin in Canada had a Dodge 2500 2wd, but i remember it being stuck easily due to the weight up front, and very little weight on the rear.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #33  
I would go with the 4wd, you will get some of the money back on the resell value. With the desiel engine it makes the truck heavier. I had a 2wd 3/4 ton desiel truck before and it would get stuck in a pot hole. But just my opinion.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #34  
I have had both 2 and 4 wheel drive and would not even consider going back to a 2 wheel drive after having a 4 wheel drive. I often wonder how I ever got buy with a 2 wheel drive. A few years ago my mother-in-law had a mild stroke in the middle of a snow storm. The roads had not been plowed yet and the ambulance said they would have to get a hold of the snowplows to get to her house. We live near her and the highways were plowed. I told them to meet us at the highway and I would have her there. I was glad to have 4 wheel drive that day. My inlaws now have a 4 wheel drive pickup. If you look around 2 wheel drives are not popular at least not in my area. I think you would get your money back better on a 4 wheel drive also.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #35  
Get 4x4 with the locker. I always end up in a mud hole with the horse trailer. If we didn't have the horses I wouldn't have a 4x4 but with them I wouldn't be without it. Now the jeep has lockers in both ends and it has pulled the truck out a couple times.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #36  
while i skimmed most of the posts ill toss in my .02

some of the pushbutton 4wheel drives these days use an electronic traction control to distrubute power ot the wheel that needs it most... there are various ways of doing this with out hard lockers in the diffs. (Eaton, Detroit etc)

Its been my experience that

4wd is heavyer than 2wd
4wd sits higher than 2wd (this can be good for looks and ground clearance)
2wd gets better gas millage due to less weight and drivetrain loss

You used to get locking hubs on front axles that would alllow you to unlock the the connection between the wheel and axle, meaning you essentally turn 4wd into a 2wd as you dont have to spinn all the front end stuff (mpg advantage) locking hubs these days are like hens teeth.

most of the guys that i know that are big 4wheelers know you go as far as you can with the least amount of traction aids, you can always add traction adds to help you get out. this helps avoid the "get yourself in trouble" mentioned above.

IMHO any farm truck should be 4wd. I also belive every 4wd truck should have a locker. (i have a detroit in mine)

my 4wd
DSC02415%20(Large).JPG

DSC02421%20(Large).JPG