40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #181  
Never intended to be a dozer operator but the folks were mandated to maintain fire roads and the quotes and red tape made it expensive and time consuming...

I suggested for the money asked I could buy a Dozer and work on my own schedule when soil conditions are optimal... worked like a charm and had a lot of fun doing it.

The best part was after 17 years of ownership I got just about what I paid buying it... on average I spent $150 on maintenance and repairs annually...

Had my brother's timing been better I would still have the D3... as it the added weight and power made it ideal for road work... the Deere is more stable and competent... just smaller.

Originally, I started the work with the BX23 TLB and soon found whereas I could achieve the final results it was painstakingly slow...

I really came to enjoy my Dozer Seat time...

As a novice operator I learned not to push it... meaning I would worked 4-6 hours and call it quits... the only time I got into compromising situations were at the end of the day when I was tired... one of those right instead of left things while on a steep hillside and steep as in really steep.

Still remember working in the summer when things were very dry... got to the bottom of a ravine and couldn't get traction to get out... waited for the winter rains and about a 5 days later drove right out... the moisture was enough to compact the soil...

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice
Thanks All,

Been busy with the holidays so have not checked in in a while.

Afraid a dozer is simply too expensive at this point and am uncomfortable taking on the added time and cost of maintenance, I don't have a lot of equipment time in my history. Agree that it would be well suited to many of the tasks I describe and I foresee renting/hiring them in the future for larger tasks. Appreciate the tip.

It looks like the cash back and financing offers are back for the new year. The NH promotions actually look a bit more favorable this year...

Hope you all enjoyed the holidays!

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #183  
For snow removal, I would consider a beater pickup with 4WD, chain it up, have it ready to go. Use it on property only (no insurance, no license).