400 hour service

/ 400 hour service #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I'm at 387 hours and with the rain we've been having it was the perfect time to do the 400 hour service. The engine oil and filter will have to wait till next weekend since I didn't have a new filter on the shelf like I thought (note to self to organize my oil and filter storage shelf), fuel filter change went without issue, and now onto the hydraulic fluid.

I changed both of the hydraulic filters at 50 hours but decided to wait till 400 to do the fluid. Since I don't have a catch basin big enough for all the fluid I performed the draining in stages, first was to remove the "drivers side" filter which loses very little fluid. After that I moved to the filter on the other side, unscrewed it enough that there was good fluid flow and then left the filter in place with the fluid draining. My bucket is about three gallons and was about full so I tightened the filter back up and proceeded to empty two gallons out of the bucket into old gallon oil jugs. Now with more reserve room I again loosened the filter and drained the remainder of the oil out. For those wondering I was able to get about 4.5 - 5 gallons of fluid from the "passenger side" filter.

I left the bucket under the filter base since there was a steady drip and used a different three gallon bucket to drain the final drive housings. Theses were very straight forward, remove the drain bolt (making sure not to lose the copper washer) and allow to drain. Both sides accounted for about two more gallons of fluid.

With those two drained all that was left was the main drain plug for the transmission. I wasn't sure how much more there would be so I started with an empty bucket and stayed close in case I needed to put the drain plug back in. Sure enough there was more in there than my bucket could hold so I put the plug back in and again emptied my bucket. One last time I pulled the plug and finished draining all fluid from the transmission, removed a total of 11 - 12 gallons. Two new filters installed and 12.5 gallons of SUDT2 on hand I'm ready to go. So far I have about 11 - 11.5 gallons of new fluid in but have only ran the tractor for a few minutes to fill the filters, I expect once I run it a little bit to have to add a little more fluid.

Unfortunately I ran out of time before I got to the front axle so it will have to wait till this weekend when I do the engine oil. Nothing earth shattering to report here but thought I would start a post in case anyone was about to perform this service and had any questions. I was a little nervous about the quantity of fluid in the tranny and how to drain it but using the method I did worked well. Overall a simple and enjoyable process.

/ 400 hour service #2  
have you considered getting the inexpensive plastic bins @ walmart to do the change in one step? i get the 60 L size for my own rig. under $10. sounds like a lot of extra work for you. but glad it went well. quite a lengthy description for the process. best regards

/ 400 hour service
I hadn't thought about getting one of those big bins but that is a very good idea. Surprisingly the way I did it went well but was a little more time consuming. It was a rainy day so I wasn't in a hurry but if someone was trying to get it done very quickly that would not be the way.