4000 Twenty power questions

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #1  

Bulverde

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I went to the local JD dealer to buy a riding lawn mower to mow around the house...What a mistake. Saw the new 4320 series and fell in love. So much for the riding mower.

I have a 2001 4500 w/ PowrReverser and FEL and have looked at the new ones every year but not many changes...Until this year.

Here are my questions:

Has anyone had a 4500 that has upgraded to a 4x20? Is it worth it?

It looks like the 4120 is the exact same tractor as the 4720 but with 15 more HP. Does anyone know where they got the extra HP? Can the 4120 be modified to the higher HP for less $$? It seems that they must have done something fairly simple like turbo boost but I also wonder if a tweak would mess with the electronics.

How does the eHydro compare to the PowrReverser? Does it use up a lot of hp?

What is the Top-and-Tilt kit option?

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #2  
OK, here sre some answers.

The power differences in the 4000TWENTYs are an Anomoly of Science. You can find much discussion on them here in TBN. The probable out come is that when warrantys start rumming out, a lot of 4120s will get tweaking into 4720s. Maybe.

The 4120s ought to be a significant upgrade from your 4500.

You have reverser right now. I would try out n Hydr at your dealers. There is a little power "loss" with the hydro. If you really like the tranny, is is a small price to pay.

Top and tilt is a hydraulic version of the adjustable top and right side arm on the 3 point. A huge help for grading...

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #4  
I keep forgetting to check that out (turbo part number). Will try to remember.

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #5  
I replied on the other thread with the following info:

Borg Warner
Part Number: RE?23754 (? is because I can't see the number clearly - it has a rivet thru it)
Model NUmber: S1B S031

/ 4000 Twenty power questions
Is the thinking that it is merely the turbo that makes the power difference and nothing else? It would seem that JD would have a little more to charge 3k+. Interesting. Has anyone confirmed this?

Thanks to all once again...A great forum.

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #7  
When the TWENTYs first came out, it was clear from Deere that there were virtuall NO parts different. One poster who was considering them went over every part on JDParts and could not find any parts that were different on any of them. They appear yo be identical.

If so the $3000 is for a differnt position for a screw on the injector pump and a different set of decals. Added value; little cost. (to Deere that is...)

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #8  
It sure sounds to me like they are making good money on the models above the 4120. There can't be hardly any cost involved in making the extra power. Even a different set of injectors couldn't make much difference. Not a few thousand dollars worth anyway. Whatever they're doing to increase the power, it's most likely very easy and relatively cheap to them to do. Someone at JD did their homework /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One poster who was considering them went over every part on JDParts and could not find any parts that were different on any of them. )</font>

That might have been me! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Leastways when I looked last year I could not find one part number difference between the 'Twenties.

I wonder though, if one or more of the following guesses have any validity?:

First - if a decision is made during motor production - that the motors are examined & tested - and a decision made as to how hot a particular example might withstand. In other words, one motor that is identical on paper to the others on the line but essentially ended up 'blueprinted' so might take a hotter 'tune'.

Second - you're simply paying into a warranty pool, something like used to be rumored with car batteries. No actual difference between the 48 month and the 72 month batteries - you just pay up front for effectively an 'extended warranty'. So for the Deere engines - the 4720 buyers pay more into the pool as there is anticipated to be more issues with the hotter set engines?

Third - with the Tier II emission regulations - is Deere trying to shape the overall Twenty series sales pool demographics through use of "punitive" pricing on the hotter models to encourage greater sales of the milder (would they be cleaner?) models?

Pure guesswork, but otherwise as I said when they first were announced, Deere is going to have a hard time justifying the price difference with a straight face.

/ 4000 Twenty power questions #10  
I understood the injectors to be same on 4120/4320 and the 4520/4720.