Buying Advice 4052r vs L4760

/ 4052r vs L4760
The real question is which do you like better? They are similar in specs so you need to decide. Maybe there are a couple of little things on one you like better.
I think right now the ability to adjust engine rpm on the loader joystick in the kubota is pretty awesome.

/ 4052r vs L4760
That's the other issue here, what is his Deere dealer like to deal with? Many people on this forum including myself can attest to not having a good experience with the local Deere dealer. And for the premium they are charging it doesn't make any sense.
On the sales side both dealers have been ok. The kubota dealer is extremely reputable. I would say the deere dealer has an ok reputation.

/ 4052r vs L4760
I think I just need to find a way to test drive these things.maybe I can find a used one somewhere to jump into quick. I’ll look. That’s the only way to really know.
I am leaning towards kubota because the dealer is 5 miles away and the hst+

/ 4052r vs L4760 #24  
I don't know about the Deere but Kubota makes a number of Grand L models that are pretty similar. If they don't have a 4760 maybe they have one of the other xx60s.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #25  
I think I just need to find a way to test drive these things.
100% Even if you have to wait a while or even drive a much further distance to do so.
I am leaning towards kubota because the dealer is 5 miles away and the hst+
Having a dealer 5 miles away is a dream. If I was you I would be leaning the same way also.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #26  
rScotty said:
Yep. The transmissions aren't even close to being the same.

Cahaba Valley Farm said: Why? Because of the number of ranges?

Yes, but it isn't Ranges. Both have 3 ranges. The difference is in the ease of shifting ratios within a range. One can do that & the other can't. If you like HST, you'll love HST+.

Any HST is nice for doing chores & projects, but for some reason the shifting between HST Ranges L/M/H is real awkward. For range shifting not to grind and shudder you still have to completely stop the tractor and then work a lever that is too short for what it needs to do. Range shifting reminds me of an old style "crash box" manual transmission without any syncros or clutch.

The H/L switch on the steering wheel of a HST Plus type transmission is like a two speed axle in a truck. It splits each range into twice as many ratios and that allows the ranges themselves to be farther apart. So each range covers a wider span...which farther reduces the need to stop and wrestle the range shifter.

Bottom line is that HST Plus transmissions are no better than the others at range shifting and they still have 3 ranges. The advantage is that having a fingertip high/low option in every range takes away most of the need for shifting ranges in the first place.

As a bonus, the HST Plus operator is are more likely to be in a favorable ratio, and that allows him to push farther down on the HST pedal so that more HST power can be used without so much HST whine. And it works in reverse, too.

Cahaba, that's a bit long-winded & I apologize. But it's what I meant when I said, "the HST and HST Plus transmissions aren't even close to being the same."

rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760
Yes, but it isn't Ranges. Both have 3 ranges. The difference is in the ease of shifting ratios within a range. One can do that & the other can't. If you like HST, you'll love HST+.

Any HST is nice for doing chores & projects, but for some reason the shifting between HST Ranges L/M/H is real awkward. For range shifting not to grind and shudder you still have to completely stop the tractor and then work a lever that is too short for what it needs to do. Range shifting reminds me of an old style "crash box" manual transmission without any syncros or clutch.

The H/L switch on the steering wheel of a HST Plus type transmission is like a two speed axle in a truck. It splits each range into twice as many ratios and that allows the ranges themselves to be farther apart. So each range covers a wider span...which farther reduces the need to stop and wrestle the range shifter.

Bottom line is that HST Plus transmissions are no better than the others at range shifting and they still have 3 ranges. The advantage is that having a fingertip high/low option in every range takes away most of the need for shifting ranges in the first place.

As a bonus, the HST Plus operator is are more likely to be in a favorable ratio, and that allows him to push farther down on the HST pedal so that more HST power can be used without so much HST whine. And it works in reverse, too.

Cahaba, that's a bit long-winded & I apologize. But it's what I meant when I said, "the HST and HST Plus transmissions aren't even close to being the same."

rScotty
That is probably the best explanation anyone has written on the topic of the benefits of the hst+

/ 4052r vs L4760 #28  
I think right now the ability to adjust engine rpm on the loader joystick in the kubota is pretty awesome.

I don't know about that. All HST and HST Plus tractors of every make have some form of automatic HST load matching. In use, it just means that as you advance the HST pedal the engine RPM automatically picks up to match the load. They all have that and all seem to do that pretty well. On the dash are often controls to adjust just how much of that automatic load matching you want and how quickly it should respond. "Set and forget" is the rule there.

As for adjusting base engine RPM. Most have some sort of handy dashboard lever control that you can set the engine RPM higher or lower for stationary PTO work or for warming up the tractor. I'm not sure it helps to have it on the loader joystick. But maybe so.

Don't you wish you could use one of each model for a day? Or even half an hour?
I think telescoping 3pt arms are really awesome, as are hand crank 3pt adjusters.

rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760 #29  
100% Even if you have to wait a while or even drive a much further distance to do so.

Having a dealer 5 miles away is a dream. If I was you I would be leaning the same way also.
Although convenient, unless the tractor is a problem child, a local dealer isn't really too important...
In my 22-23 years of owning Deere tractors, I can count the number of times of the tractor needing dealer service on one hand, assuming one can do basic work like greasing, oil changes and such.
One maintenance I could do, but have the dealer do, is hydraulic oil changes. That's only because I don't have a big enough container to capture the 7-8 gallons of hydraulic fluid. That said, if you change the hydraulic fluid per the manual recommendations, it's not a frequent task considering the number of hours many of us put on our tractors per year. I average 60-80 hours, per annum

/ 4052r vs L4760
Don't you wish you could use one of each model for a day? Or even half an hour?
Yea. That would sure help. I’ve spent a lot of time in larger gear driven tractors of both colors so I kind of know what to expect. I was always impressed with kubota cabs and really liked their shuttle.