Buying Advice 4052r vs L4760

/ 4052r vs L4760
Although convenient, unless the tractor is a problem child, a local dealer isn't really too important...
In my 22-23 years of owning Deere tractors, I can count the number of times of the tractor needing dealer service on one hand, assuming one can do basic work like greasing, oil changes and such.
One maintenance I could do, but have the dealer do, is hydraulic oil changes. That's only because I don't have a big enough container to capture the 7-8 gallons of hydraulic fluid. That said, if you change the hydraulic fluid per the manual recommendations, it's not a frequent task considering the number of hours many of us put on our tractors per year. I average 60-80 hours, per annum

So I keep reading stuff that Deere doesn’t like you working on your own equipment and kubota doesn’t care. Is either true? I will do my own service intervals but don’t want to void warranty. Are both brands Okay with that?

/ 4052r vs L4760 #32  
So I keep reading stuff that Deere doesn’t like you working on your own equipment and kubota doesn’t care. Is either true? I will do my own service intervals but don’t want to void warranty. Are both brands Okay with that?
Nowadays, with Tier 4 emissions' controls and all the computerized systems, maintenance and troubleshooting isn't as easy. I would think most owners (including me) don't have the skills and equipment.
For example, my 4052R through a couple codes...and the tech needs to plug in a maintence laptop to read the problem...
Wasn't anything major (turned out the battery was going south...not surprising since I bought it used)

But maintenance such as oil and filter changes, greasing...things like that; are still within the capabilities of most owners

Last edited:
   / 4052r vs L4760 #33  
Under warranty? Bring it back. Routine service? Deere doesn’t care if I change my oil, neither did kubota. Messing with emission systems or the computer or propitiatory software? If that is a goal then good luck with any company

/ 4052r vs L4760
Under warranty? Bring it back. Routine service? Deere doesn’t care if I change my oil, neither did kubota. Messing with emission systems or the computer or propitiatory software? If that is a goal then good luck with any company

no I’m just talking routine maintenance like oil changes and such

/ 4052r vs L4760 #35  
The HST+ in each range gives you, L - more torque and less speed, H - more speed and less torque. I’ve never moved out of medium range when working. I’ve had my GL for 1-1/2 yrs and just nearing 400 hours of use. It’s a great tractor, only downside is Kubota seats are terrible. I’m upgrading to air ride but it’s a $1,000 cost at the dealer. The factory seat bottoms out if you’re 225lbs or more. my sciatic begins to hurt after 2 hours in the seat. I’m a senior citizen though so if you’re younger it might be fine.

/ 4052r vs L4760
I had them include the air ride. I’m 225lbs and also have low back issues. I figureIf your spending this type of money why not.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #37  
Get a couple of rear remotes too. I upgraded to HD bucket with cutting edge and on the BH92, mechanical thumb and QA bucket. I added a Kubota hydraulic top link last fall and it has been a real time saver. I can’t add TnT I’m told because I have the BH kit installed. Maybe something with the power beyond?

oh, and get Kubota’s 3rd function installed. Paul and Kathy Short have great after market mods for Kubota’s, if you go that route Home

/ 4052r vs L4760 #38  
no I’m just talking routine maintenance like oil changes and such

I've never heard of that being a problem with any dealer. I tell them up front that I am going to be doing my own routine maintenance. When I bought our last tractor, my dealer said that I should bring it back for the first service so that they could check it over in case they had missed anything during setup. After that he was fine with me doing my own maintenance. That made so much sense to me that we wrote it right into the purchase price.

From having a shop, I know that although some shops are set up to make money on routine maintenance many are not. In fact, routine maintenance in most service shops ends up being a training ground for young men thinking of becoming mechanics - most of whom will end up doing something else. A novice is probably not who you want doing your maintenance and adjustment work.

HINT, if you want an old experienced mechanic to do your maintenance work, ask your dealer for their mobile service truck to come out to your place and do your work there. It will cost twice as much, but the mobile mechanic is likely to be an experienced hand. Be prepared to help with the clean up & snacks. Otherwise stay handy but out of the way.

I think you are worried about nothing here. Chances are very good that like most TBNers you will use your tractor for 20 or more years without it ever needing more than routine maintenance plus the occasional cable or hose. After warranty fixes any basic problems - which are real rare - then tractors tend to last forever.
rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760
Get a couple of rear remotes too. I upgraded to HD bucket with cutting edge and on the BH92, mechanical thumb and QA bucket. I added a Kubota hydraulic top link last fall and it has been a real time saver. I can’t add TnT I’m told because I have the BH kit installed. Maybe something with the power beyond?

oh, and get Kubota’s 3rd function installed. Paul and Kathy Short have great after market mods for Kubota’s, if you go that route Home
Yup. I got hd bucket, one set of remotes, 3rd function. No backhoe, for now.

/ 4052r vs L4760
I've never heard of that being a problem with any dealer. I tell them up front that I am going to be doing my own routine maintenance. When I bought our last tractor, my dealer said that I should bring it back for the first service so that they could check it over in case they had missed anything during setup. After that he was fine with me doing my own maintenance. That made so much sense to me that we wrote it right into the purchase price.

From having a shop, I know that although some shops are set up to make money on routine maintenance many are not. In fact, routine maintenance in most service shops ends up being a training ground for young men thinking of becoming mechanics - most of whom will end up doing something else. A novice is probably not who you want doing your maintenance and adjustment work.

HINT, if you want an old experienced mechanic to do your maintenance work, ask your dealer for their mobile service truck to come out to your place and do your work there. It will cost twice as much, but the mobile mechanic is likely to be an experienced hand. Be prepared to help with the clean up & snacks. Otherwise stay handy but out of the way.

I think you are worried about nothing here. Chances are very good that like most TBNers you will use your tractor for 20 or more years without it ever needing more than routine maintenance plus the occasional cable or hose. After warranty fixes any basic problems - which are real rare - then tractors tend to last forever.
rScotty

that’s a great tip on the mobile mechanic. Thank you.