4120 hyd. top link

/ 4120 hyd. top link #1  

whitedogone

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4120
I'm thinking of adding one. Does the 4x20's require one with a lock valve?

/ 4120 hyd. top link #2  
I use top and tilt with the joystick control valve and hydraulic scarifier toothbar with the rear outlet circuit with no problems on a 4520. As long as you have cylinder spool valves you should be good to go. Hydraulic motors and motor spool valves would require a few modifications to use but the standard issue for the 4x20s' is cylinder spools.

Steve

/ 4120 hyd. top link #4  
I have used them without and with lock valves. The lock valves are nice but kind of depends on how much the cylinder extends/drifts over time. I have a 3" gannon top link and the drift is minimal and it has no lock valve. I have a 2" and although not critical, is nicer to use with lock valve. I think it has to do with the size of the cylinder which makes one work better than the other. Most top link cylinders for CUTs are not 3" in diameter. The larger cylinders also move slower than the small cylinders.
The lock valve on the 2" cylinder will still drift over 24-48 hours. My large ag tractors have larger, 4-5" cylinders with internal lock valves and they don't move at all.