42" deck spindle replacement

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #1  

easternhunter

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Have a 42" deck mounted on a D115. Changing spindles and the mounting holes are not threaded. The bolt appear to possibly be self tapping. Is that how this works?

If not, anyone know the thread diameter and pitch?

Thank you,

Mike

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #4  
Yes, those are self taping screws and I re-use them.

With the complete assembly off, replacing the bearings only isn't difficult at all. The biggest challenge may be removing the pulley but with a little mechanical expertise that's not too difficult. When we see the cost difference that sometimes changes our attitude about doing it ourselves.

Attachments

• John Deere blade housing  2-21-11.jpg
    John Deere blade housing 2-21-11.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
   / 42" deck spindle replacement #5  
Yes, those are self taping screws and I re-use them.

With the complete assembly off, replacing the bearings only isn't difficult at all. The biggest challenge may be removing the pulley but with a little mechanical expertise that's not too difficult. When we see the cost difference that sometimes changes our attitude about doing it ourselves.

I believe you have to remove and swap the pulley even when replacing the entire spindle assemblies so one way or another you are going to have to remove the pulley.

Spindles are $57 each whereas the bearings themselves are probably $10 or less each.

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #6  
check with eprdistribution on ebay I bought complete rebuild kit for $68.99 to my door mower parts.jpg included everything you see in pic price might have gone up some but still cheaper and simpler than the parts to rebuild yourself which I have done many times

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #7  
The new bearings are compromised at about 3:52 into this vid when he installs the sheave and he has no idea why. The same thing happens if he had removed the blade rather than the sheave.
Mower Deck Spindle Bearings - YouTube

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #8  
The new bearings are compromised at about 3:52 into this vid when he installs the sheave and he has no idea why

SandburRanch: I missed the point of your observation. Would you explain pls.

/ 42" deck spindle replacement #9  
SandburRanch: I missed the point of your observation. Would you explain pls.

I don't do cad or any of those modern drawings so a crude pencil drawing will have to do, and as anyone can readily see this is not to scale.

The first thing I should mention is, for visual identity, I've exaggerated the amount the sleeve protrudes above the upper bearing outer race Boss ( bearing seat ). The ones I've measured tend to be around 0.010" + -.

If we seat the lower bearing outer race, install the sleeve, then either press or drive the upper bearing in we're doing it in the dark. By this I mean it's difficult to tell exactly when the inner race of the upper bearing touches the sleeve and that's what is necessary to avoid lateral thrust on the bearing balls and cage. If that upper bearing inner race doesn't just slightly touch the sleeve when we install it the damage will occur when the blade is installed and torqued or when the sheave is torqued as in the video. Reason being is because tightening either of those 2 nuts tends to pull the 2 inner races together.

The flip side. If the inner race touches but the outer race has not been seated, the mechanic or factor assembly person is going to push until it feels solid. If that sleeve spacer protrudes that 0.010" they have just attempted to push all the balls out of both bearings. That's un-due lateral thrust ball bearings aren't designed for and I guarantee they won't last any where their life expectancy.

This is why I rebuild the assemblies myself and modify 1 of the 2 bearings outer race so it's a push fit. This eliminates any guess work. On the LA-135 JD I had at one time the aluminum bearing housings were made so 1 of the bearings was a push fit. Or maybe it was a factory machining mistake but either way it worked out well.

Attachments

• Deck bearing hub-2019.JPG
    Deck bearing hub-2019.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 52
   / 42" deck spindle replacement #10  
If there are more questions about this and why my bearings went to he!! in a hand basket you will need to contact me in some other way because I'm not able to get e-mail notification. May your deck bearings last forever.