425 Problem

/ 425 Problem #21  
Went on to the Kohler web site and clicked on problems and got connected to expert who gave this advice.

This is where you have to decide if the problem is in the engine or the transaxle. If the engine rpm stays pretty much constant, then I'd look at the motion belt system first. If the engine bogs down hard, like it's struggling to pull, then I'd look at the braking system first. If the engine loses a few rpm but doesn't seem to be straining, then I'd go to the transaxle. If the engine sounds loose, like it wants to over-rev or blows black smoke then pull the spark plugs and check their condition. If the engine just sounds weak, you may have a fuel delivery problem.

Personally, just from what you have described so far, you may have a transaxle that's not cooling. Check that the fan is in one piece and that the transaxle is clean. That fan is essential for the Hydrostat to work and grass built up on the unit can also allow too much heat to build-up which thins the oil in the transaxle.

Thought I would pass this info along for your input as well.
PJ

That information is useless. Their "expert" system thinks your Kohler engine is powering a belt driven hydrostatic transaxle in a lawn tractor.

/ 425 Problem #22  
I'd have to say that it sounds like that Kohler expert is well-intentioned but doesn't have a CLUE about how a PT works. Talking about belts and hydrostats applies just fine to a typical SCUT, but for a PT, well, not so much.

Unless your previous flooding problem caused unusually extensive engine/compression damage, I'd guess that Something Is Not Right with your carburetor - wrong adjustments, wrong parts, linkage problems, etc. It was working OK until it flooded. Unless you've changed something else, the carburetor is the only thing that isn't the same as when it was running fine.

One consistent thread through my auto mechanic career was that if it's not running right, start by rechecking whatever was worked on last.

/ 425 Problem #23  
It sounds to me like their "expert" is a computer program that just regurgitates pieces of their FAQ in response to a "dirty word search" performed on customer inputs.

Which is an annoying way to do business. I think Amazon does the same thing; email to customer service will repeatedly generate responses that almost... but not quite... have something to do with what you emailed them about.

/ 425 Problem #24  
I'd take the tractor to the shop and have them check the carb while it is attached to the engine.

/ 425 Problem
I'd take the tractor to the shop and have them check the carb while it is attached to the engine.

That is probably the best advice.
This is the latest advice from Kohler
If this has the electronic governor, it has to be re-installed in a particular way. Below is the instructions copied from the Kohler manual.

Adjustment Procedure
The DLA must be in the fully retracted position during
assembly. The full range of throttle plate movement will
not be achieved if the DLA is partially extended when
assembled. Loosen the two DLA mounting plate
screws located on the top of the actuator plate. With
the throttle linkage centered in the U-Clip at the end of
the DLA shaft, slide the DLA bracket assembly back
until the throttle plate is fully open. Torque the
mounting plate screws to 2.5 Nキm (22 in. lb.).

The DLA is the Digital Linear Actuator, the device that moves the governor rod. If you don't have the electronic governor, then we need to look at something different. But if you do, this could easily be the problem as the throttle won't fully open unless it's reset when the carburetor is installed.

/ 425 Problem #26  
That is probably the best advice.
This is the latest advice from Kohler
If this has the electronic governor, it has to be re-installed in a particular way. Below is the instructions copied from the Kohler manual.

Adjustment Procedure
The DLA must be in the fully retracted position during
assembly. The full range of throttle plate movement will
not be achieved if the DLA is partially extended when
assembled. Loosen the two DLA mounting plate
screws located on the top of the actuator plate. With
the throttle linkage centered in the U-Clip at the end of
the DLA shaft, slide the DLA bracket assembly back
until the throttle plate is fully open. Torque the
mounting plate screws to 2.5 Nキm (22 in. lb.).

The DLA is the Digital Linear Actuator, the device that moves the governor rod. If you don't have the electronic governor, then we need to look at something different. But if you do, this could easily be the problem as the throttle won't fully open unless it's reset when the carburetor is installed.

You should have the same engine as me. The governor is mechanical, and the governor spring must be installed correctly. Check page 5.22 of the PDF I linked, and see if your setup looks like the one in the drawing. If it does, check to see if the spring is correct.

/ 425 Problem
PJ, If you pull the choke out a little does it make any difference? I have used the 20, 22, 25 HP Kohler's, on my Dixie Choppers, and keeping the fuel solenoid clean, and water in fuel was about my only problem. Recommend you take it out and clean it . Maybe the service guy did it for you .

Sorry to get back to you so late. I have been unable to get much done these past few days. I mowed today (slow) and tried the choke but all it did was want to die. I plan on taking the tractor to the Kohler dealer tomorrow to see what they find. To be frank, I do not think they are the brightest bunch around.
PJ

/ 425 Problem #29  
Sorry to get back to you so late. I have been unable to get much done these past few days. I mowed today (slow) and tried the choke but all it did was want to die. I plan on taking the tractor to the Kohler dealer tomorrow to see what they find. To be frank, I do not think they are the brightest bunch around.
PJ
Paul:
This and your running out of gas early suggest you're running rich, not lean. Also consistent with no bucking or backfiring. Rich mixture just reduces power, but usually runs smoothly.
I don't know your carb, but at your altitude the main jet should be smaller than at sea level. If they replaced it, they might have gone to sea-level stock. Another possibility is the float again. If it doesn't quite shut off flow, it can make it run rich. They may not have gotten it right.
Good luck.
Charlie

/ 425 Problem
Paul:
This and your running out of gas early suggest you're running rich, not lean. Also consistent with no bucking or backfiring. Rich mixture just reduces power, but usually runs smoothly.
I don't know your carb, but at your altitude the main jet should be smaller than at sea level. If they replaced it, they might have gone to sea-level stock. Another possibility is the float again. If it doesn't quite shut off flow, it can make it run rich. They may not have gotten it right.
Good luck.
Charlie

Back from the dealer today. Have not had a chance to run with mower as its snowing.
They said it was bad plugs and air cleaner. Will test out tomorrow if possible. I have a bad feeling about those guys.
PJ