425 Problem

/ 425 Problem #41  
maybe OT, but I ran out of gas today. I was surprised when I refilled the tank that it did not self-prime the fuel line.

The reason was is the way the fuel line is looped, and the very small diameter prevented the air trapped in the line from flowing out. I ended up having to squeeze all the air out of the line, and mess around with the filter to get most of the air bubble out of it. Possibly something is caught in that little elbow on the tank (although I can't see anything), cause I couldn't get the last bit of air out.

I think a straight nipple attached to the tank and a new larger diameter hose are in my future.

I took my hose off and ran a piece of flex wire up the elbow. It started flowing a lot better after that.

/ 425 Problem
O.K.

So now after the carb kit was installed by the Kohler dealer the machine gets hot quickly and loses power. Appears to be a symptom of running lean, correct?

Yes, that would be my take.
I changed out the fuel filter which had allot of junk in it right after replacing the carb back on. Do you think I could have small particles into the fuel pump? Or into the fuel solenoid?
PJ

/ 425 Problem #43  
I changed out the fuel filter which had allot of junk in it right after replacing the carb back on. Do you think I could have small particles into the fuel pump? Or into the fuel solenoid?
PJ

Sure. That could be possible. A blockage could cause a lean condition. As could the float not opening enough. Or a jet too small of a size.

/ 425 Problem
Sure. That could be possible. A blockage could cause a lean condition. As could the float not opening enough. Or a jet too small of a size.

Neighbor is a mechanic at the airport - waiting for him to wake up (night shift) and take a look at unit.
PJ

/ 425 Problem #45  
PJ

The clogged fuel solenoid caused me to waste time on taking the fuel solenoid off and cleaning, and it usually worked after that. Just need a small piece of wire, maybe air. I usually put voltage to it to make sure it worked. You can see it move and hear it click.

/ 425 Problem #47  
Neighbor is a mechanic at the airport - waiting for him to wake up (night shift) and take a look at unit.
PJ

Paul:
Any progress?

/ 425 Problem
Paul:
Any progress?

These past couple of weeks has been interesting in regards to my 425 problems.
Had mechanic check out the carburetor and it was working well.
By-passed to check the cooling fan and it was working.
Checked the thermostat and it was bad so ordered a new one.
Installed the new thermostat but that did not help run fan during hot temperatures.
Checkout the thermal coupler and ordered new one.
Checked all wires and found the fan wire was unplugged, very hard to get to and fix.
Still having engine power problems even though the cooling fan is now working properly.
Mechanic stated that I have oil coming through the rings and that is why power is reduced.

Question, mechanic stated that I may be better off getting new engine instead of doing the rings based on the number of hours on the engine (900). What do you guys think?
PJ

/ 425 Problem #49  
These past couple of weeks has been interesting in regards to my 425 problems.
Had mechanic check out the carburetor and it was working well.
By-passed to check the cooling fan and it was working.
Checked the thermostat and it was bad so ordered a new one.
Installed the new thermostat but that did not help run fan during hot temperatures.
Checkout the thermal coupler and ordered new one.
Checked all wires and found the fan wire was unplugged, very hard to get to and fix.
Still having engine power problems even though the cooling fan is now working properly.
Mechanic stated that I have oil coming through the rings and that is why power is reduced.

Question, mechanic stated that I may be better off getting new engine instead of doing the rings based on the number of hours on the engine (900). What do you guys think?
PJ

A couple years ago when we visited you mentioned an oil consumption problem. Perhaps it is time to resolve it. As for a rebuild.... what is the price and is the mechanic sure that will solve it? What is the price of a new engine + labor to install it? Big decision.

If I were in your situation I would consider the following:

These engines are supposed to last about 1500 - 2000 hours under normal use.

If the cost of a rebuild was only 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new engine, I would go with a rebuild and hope it lasts another 450 hours.

If the cost of a rebuild is going to cost more than 1/2 of the cost of a new engine + installation costs I would probably opt for the new engine and keep the old engine in clean storage for parts.

/ 425 Problem
A couple years ago when we visited you mentioned an oil consumption problem. Perhaps it is time to resolve it. As for a rebuild.... what is the price and is the mechanic sure that will solve it? What is the price of a new engine + labor to install it? Big decision.

If I were in your situation I would consider the following:

These engines are supposed to last about 1500 - 2000 hours under normal use.

If the cost of a rebuild was only 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new engine, I would go with a rebuild and hope it lasts another 450 hours.

If the cost of a rebuild is going to cost more than 1/2 of the cost of a new engine + installation costs I would probably opt for the new engine and keep the old engine in clean storage for parts.

Thanks David,

Your right about the cost. Also not to mention if I can get the same engine. The frame is so tight you do not have much room to play with. There is no doubt that I have worked the engine much beyond what it was designed for. As I can not get along without the 425 in top condition I may consider the new engine. I have asked what it would cost for a ring job but no answer as of yet.
PJ