425 Problem

/ 425 Problem #61  
Hmm, if the critical dimensions are really OK, I might have to start saving my pennies.

/ 425 Problem #62  
Well like I tried to imply on only assumed it wouldn't fit, but keep in mind (I think) that PJ has a Kohler

/ 425 Problem #63  
Quote from ebay ad:
Identical to Kohler's CH1000 (40hp) engine for HP & Torque but will fit applications that had 20-30hp Kohler engines originally due to the smaller footprint (nearly identical to the CH18 through CH750 Kohler in size) than the Kohler & Briggs Big Block Engines

1 1/8" Shaft

GENERAC 40hp Peak 36hp continous Horizontal Shaft Engine Has a Whopping 64ftlbs of torque@2400rpm.

This is the most important measurement of an engines ability to perform work!!!!!

Check this link: HowStuffWorks "How Force, Power, Torque and Energy Work"

Great for Stump Grinders, Saw Mills ETC.

Direct bolt in to replace the Kawasaki & Kohler Horizontal Shaft engines from 20hp & up on Bobcat, Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy or any other large ZTR with A Horizontal

1 1/8" Shaft

Will replace Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki & Honda Engines.

Designed to last 3000+ hours if maintained properly

/ 425 Problem
I have looked on the Kohler site and also just came back from a trip to Minneapolis where I went to Northern Tool and talked with their people and looked at Kohler engines. Also looked online.
Here is what I think is the replacement engine for my needs.

Kohler CH730-003
25 hp
Shaft is 1 1/8 and short
This has remote controls

I also looked at the CH 730-040 and the CH740-0013 but both have larger shafts and are manual throttles.

If I am correct, I need the R designator (remote) verses the M designator (manual). Also I think I need the shorter and smaller shaft but unable to verify until my engine is pulled.
Does anyone know the shaft size of the current 25 hp Kohler?

Appreciate your comments.
PJ

/ 425 Problem
Latest update

Called Terry today and asked if he knew what the shaft size would be. He did and also had recommendations for place to purchase and model number for replacement.

Here is what Terry gave me, by the way this is the number on my engine. They must be still producing this engine.

CH 730-0038
Shaft size is 1 7/16 X 4 29/64
25 hp
Small Engine Warehouse

In my wanderings around Northern Tool in Minneapolis I had written down the following, what appears to be the same info but probably an updated number?

7khxs.725GC
CH 730-0040
25 hp
Shaft size 1 7/16 x 4 29/64

Terry did say that I would be better to stay with a 25 hp and not go larger as there had been reports of shaft damage on the pump.

I also am looking into cost to ship tractor to Power-Trac and have them install new engine and also go through machine. Terry said it would take about a week to turn around. I like the idea of a knowledgeable person doing the work.

PJ

/ 425 Problem #68  
I hate to bash on PT, but I think you would be wasting money on sending your PT back to Taz. I can't speak for Ken but for me, my PT that was "restored" by PT was a mediocre job. In part, it is hard to tell what is going to fail, so I give them the benefit for not having replaced the hoses, but other things should have been taken care of and were not (leaking steering, bent plates, cracked oil tank).

Nope, save your money, do it yourself. For the 1800 in shipping go buy yourself something nice.

/ 425 Problem #69  
PJ,

If you want to send it back to PT, that is your choice, but Terry is probably not the one that is going to work on your machine. It will probably be assigned to a crew that will go through it and do what you want. You should have a list of things to do, and request a warranty, for parts and service, and if they don't get it right , what would you do next. I have learned not to trust to many people. If I can, I try and watch someone working on my stuff.

/ 425 Problem
PJ,

If you want to send it back to PT, that is your choice, but Terry is probably not the one that is going to work on your machine. It will probably be assigned to a crew that will go through it and do what you want. You should have a list of things to do, and request a warranty, for parts and service, and if they don't get it right , what would you do next. I have learned not to trust to many people. If I can, I try and watch someone working on my stuff.

This is a wish list item to send to Tazewell, when I get the price to ship i'm sure it will be done locally. I have a guy down the block who works on small engines who said he could switch out engines in one day. I may give it a shot also if I end up taking out the old engine. I know the shaft will need to be cut to proper length (based on length of current shaft) and I may have that done. I noticed small engine warehouse does not have the correct engine in stock at this time.
PJ