448 BH woops (whine whimper)

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Digging out the last tree root wad...

doing nothing extra, I was just digging and it came up out of the hole this way.

Had to finish hacking out the roots with the FEL.

Rod is $200, new cylinder is $500 ouch either way.

Attachments

• 488WOOPS.jpg
    488WOOPS.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 740
   / 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #2  
Wow, any chance of the warranty covering that?

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #3  
Wow, that's unreal! Maybe that rod wasn't heat treated properly??!?

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #4  
I did the same thing, only mine snapped. Sounded like a .38 going off. Rod and piston rebuild kit = $300.

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #5  
Moan... groan.. That left a mark!

I can't help but wonder --- what psi is your hydraulic pump generating?

I'd like to believe that the pump would stall and whine before it would "spaghetti" the cylinder like that!

Most impressive ---

AKfish

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #6  
I've been around heavy equipment for 35 years and have never seen a cylinder bend like that. What where you doing???

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper)
I still don't know how it happened. I was digging out tree roots in preparation to pull over the last of the sequioa trees. I was about 6 feet below grade, had the bucket against the face then as I was lifting with the boom I tried to curl the bucket to finish the load. When the bucket came out of the hole it looked Ok untill I swung it to dump. Unless the relief valve failed I assume the PSI was around the 2500 factory setting.

I have used the bh a lot this last few weeks. But I am starting to wonder if I expect too much.. I tore up a bunch of teeth, now a cylinder.

I have seen a couple of FEl cylinders bent up by using the bucket as a ram, but never one on a bh.

Still, even with the cylinder and teeth, it stilll has been cheaper than the bid I got for pulling the trees out with a cat.

Anyone know who made JD's cylinders, or aftermarket replacements>

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #8  
In everything i have read. most backhoe relief valves are set a tad lower
than the tractor hydrolics. so say the tractor was 2500. the backhoe would be set at say 2300. from the looks of this. looks like a relief valve got stuck or something. as everyone has stated. This is most impressive. it just shows the power of a 448. maybe a little to much...:)

Chris...;)

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #9  
I did the same thing with a 46 BH while digging out a stump. It happened so quickly that I didn't really know what happened until I tried to curl the bucket and it stopped part way because the cylinder rod was hitting.

Phil

/ 448 BH woops (whine whimper) #10  
Phil2005 said:
I did the same thing with a 46 BH while digging out a stump. It happened so quickly that I didn't really know what happened until I tried to curl the bucket and it stopped part way because the cylinder rod was hitting.

Phil

Phil , I wish you had not said that. I have a 46 hoe.....:(

Chris..:)