45-50hp Help

/ 45-50hp Help
How often will you go to the dealer? Typical home use is 100 hours a year or less. You will need to do an annual engine oil change and transmission oil change every few years. That's like one trip a year to the dealer at most.

My dealer's 3 hours away. I have been there twice in four years, once to test drive and once to pick up a backhoe. They mail the filters I need for maintenance.
I would hope I wouldn’t have to go often to dealer. Mainly if there were problems beyond regularly scheduled maintenance and such

/ 45-50hp Help
It really depends, I wasn't trying to make a statement about Kubota either way. The L4701 would be the nearest equivalent. Among those models, the 4701 has the lowest capacity loader and is a lighter tractor. You would have to step up the the Grand L. 4760 to be comparable, you didn't want high end though... ;)
Makes sense, thank you!

/ 45-50hp Help
You will receive better quality replies if you add Southwest Virginia to your T-B-N PROFILE.
Done, thank you. Wasn’t sure how to do that at first

/ 45-50hp Help #15  
De nada. I have a giant spreadsheet of specs on about 45 35-60 HP machines from 9 manufacturers in various weight classes. I've got almost 20 acres of mostly pines to manage. I want the SS transmission, but these all have both as options. The hard part right now is finding one on the lot to test drive.

/ 45-50hp Help #16  
Depends on your budget...new, or used? Open station or cab?
That said, I'd suggest seeing what your local Deere has...
As far as specific models, consider a 4120, 4320 or a 4044. All of these tractors range from 40 to a bit less then 50 engine HP. PTO HP will be 10%-15% less then engine HP. All have strong loaders and, if buying used, the extra hydraulic remotes you need will may already be installed.
I've had Deere tractors for 20+ years....never bought a new one. Used Deeres have been very good machines

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 45-50hp Help #17  
Looking at 45-50 hp tractor to manage 10 acres of mixed wooded/mowing property. Primarily interested in Loader and grapple work. I have a mix of flat and hilly land.

Tractors generating this power will weight 3,700 pounds to 4,100 pounds bare weight.
The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other specification.

3,800 pounds bare weight is the mid-weight of compact tractors, a high unit volume segment. Every tractor manufacturer offers at least two models, an economy and a deluxe tractor, in this weight range.. All offer HST. All are 66" wide, plus or minus a smidge. All will comfortably pick up 2,000 pounds 18" with the loader. Horsepower options are 40-horsepower to 60-horsepower.

45-horsepower will adequately power a 72" medium duty Rotary Cutter / Bush Hog through tall grass.

Tractors are inherently unstable engaged in Loader work. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Closest dealers are Kioti, New Holland, JD, and Massey Ferguson. Kiioti/NH dealer is 5 minutes away.

The Three Point Hitch tractor has been marketed in the USA since 1939. Patents on the Three Point Hitch and TPH hydraulic controls expired in 1955. Since 1955 (66 years) all traditional compact tractors have been designed and produced around the Ferguson Three Point Hitch, worldwide.

The traditional Three Point Hitch tractor design is generic.

Start with the nearest dealer and work out.

Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

CREDIT: 'FELIXEDO'

"It has been touched on a couple of times, but not directly as a buying factor.

Every major make has a machine that will do the job(s) you want. Check out your nearby dealers, and go with one you have confidence in.

A great machine with no support nearby is a hassle to repair and maintain.

And a good machine can't make a lousy dealer into a good dealer."

Last edited:
   / 45-50hp Help
Depends on your budget...new, or used? Open station or cab?
That said, I'd suggest seeing what your local Deere has...
As far as specific models, consider a 4120, 4320 or a 4044. All of these tractors range from 40 to a bit less then 50 engine HP. PTO HP will be 10%-15% less then engine HP. All have strong loaders and, if buying used, the extra hydraulic remotes you need will may already be installed.
I've had Deere tractors for 20+ years....never bought a new one. Used Deeres have been very good machines
Open to new or used. No cab. Local Deere only has two 5055e’s and the rest are 1023s. Those are a bigger than I need (taking into consideration that the 45-50hp is already somewhat bigger than I likely need)

/ 45-50hp Help
Looking at 45-50 hp tractor to manage 10 acres of mixed wooded/mowing property. Primarily interested in Loader and grapple work.

Tractors generating this power will weight 3,700 pounds to 4,100 pounds bare weight.
Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.
Thank you, good to know

/ 45-50hp Help #20  
Sorry. New to the forum. I’m in southwest Virginia.

From Tractor Pete's website, there is very little difference in HP and tractor performance from 42Hp thru 60Hp. It's all in the gearing and marketing. ;)

With all that said, most machines in that range are very competitive.

How far away is this place?