4500 Mahindra Steering

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #1  

dhillis84

Tractor
Mahindra 4500
FIL has a Mahindra 4500 that we have been having steering problems with for the last year. I finally decided to get it fixed myself so we have it to use out at the farm. A year ago the hydrostatic pump that is under the steering column busted a leak. We took the pump to a dealer and had the pump rebuilt. We reinstalled the pump and have been having problems since. A couple of weeks ago we replaced the hydraulic pump that is on the engine block. The wheels turn much better but the steering wheel never hits a stop. The wheels will turn and stop, but the steering wheel continues to turn freely. This occurs in either direction.

I read that to test the pump you can detach both of the lines that connect to the cylinder and plug them. If the pump builds pressure and stops then the cynlider has an internal leak, and if it doesn't then the hydrostatic pump is bad? Does that sound right? Any tips or suggestions before hauling it to the dealer.

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #2  
I would perform a leak by test on the cylinder.You only have to disconnect one hose from the cylinder.:thumbsup:

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering
Can you elaborate on the test. First hydraulics I've messed with. I'll look online also.

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #4  
The steering wheel will never hit a stop as it has no direct connection to the front axle. It doesn't turn a gear box like conventional steering, but just directs hydo fluid to a cylinder.

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #5  
Can you elaborate on the test. First hydraulics I've messed with. I'll look online also.

Turn the steering wheel till you hit the stop on front axle. determine which side hyd hose moved the wheel in that direction on the cylinder.Probably ram retracted. Remove the opposite side hose and cap it. Continue to turn the steering wheel in the same direction and observe the open port on the steering cylinder. There should be little to no oil coming out. Careful it could be messy if the cylinder is bad.:thumbsup:

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering
The steering wheel will never hit a stop as it has no direct connection to the front axle. It doesn't turn a gear box like conventional steering, but just directs hydo fluid to a cylinder.

I'm 95% sure it use to have a stop?? After thinking about it, maybe it wasn't a true stop, but shouldn't there be enough back pressure that the wheel gets hard to turn?

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering
Turn the steering wheel till you hit the stop on front axle. determine which side hyd hose moved the wheel in that direction on the cylinder.Probably ram retracted. Remove the opposite side hose and cap it. Continue to turn the steering wheel in the same direction and observe the open port on the steering cylinder. There should be little to no oil coming out. Careful it could be messy if the cylinder is bad.:thumbsup:

I'll try this. Probably won't be until some time next week before I can get back to it.

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #8  
I'm 95% sure it use to have a stop?? After thinking about it, maybe it wasn't a true stop, but shouldn't there be enough back pressure that the wheel gets hard to turn?
Yes.Steering wheel should get hard to turn when at full left or right.:thumbsup:

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering
Yes.Steering wheel should get hard to turn when at full left or right.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help so far. I'll try to test the cylinder at some point over the next week. I'll reply back.

/ 4500 Mahindra Steering #10  
After thinking about it, maybe it wasn't a true stop, but shouldn't there be enough back pressure that the wheel gets hard to turn?

yes, but you can still turn it. there is a stop on the axle but there is nothing in the steering column.