4520r handle front chains?

/ 4520r handle front chains? #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
I was strongly encouraged by a local John Deere parts guy to not put chains on the front of my tractor.
While he was not sure about mine, John Deere does not recommend them since too much stress can tear up the front end.

Any thoughts? Since the Branson 20 series is a bit more stout than most compact tractors out there, I am wondering if chains on front will be fine.

We get about 12 feet of snow around here each year (talkeetna, AK)
Did a lot of spinning trying to push 18 of snow around this past weekend.

Thanks

/ 4520r handle front chains? #2  
I don't have chains on either end, sorry no help there.

Are your rears filled (hopefully with Rimguard)?

/ 4520r handle front chains? #3  
I have chains for the front of my 8050 but I almost never use them as I can use my rear chains.
I only mount the fronts if a major ice storm is predicted.
IMG_20160228_120946404.jpg

In your case not being able to use rear chains if I was going to use front chains only I would be a bit concerned as the front would be working all the time and pulling the rear end.
That said you will not get much more traction with chains then then when working it hard in 4wd in the summer.
I would recommend the Euro style chain as you will be getting uniform traction not the slip and grab of conventional chains.
These are good chains;Trygg SMT Flexi Studded Alloy Tire Chains
They are expensive but the traction and smooth non vibrating ride of this type is exceptional.

/ 4520r handle front chains? #4  
I have ran both front and rear chains when blowing snow with my 4720 without any issues. My neighbor road has a north facing steep hill that tends to drift and get icy underneath. It is a situation where you need every bit of help you can get.
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to run them too much on dry pavement, but on snow and ice it shouldn't be a problem.

/ 4520r handle front chains?
I don't have chains on either end, sorry no help there.

Are your rears filled (hopefully with Rimguard)?
Dave’s Tractor is the only place that I know does rim guard. (Wasilla) They are in the middle of moving so a few weeks out to get them filled.
No they are not filled and I desperately want that done.
My other alternative is coolant. Want nothing to do with calcium.

/ 4520r handle front chains? #6  
Rim guard is definately the best stuff to use where you are at. Another alternative is windshield washer fluid. It is not as heavy as the beet juice (Rim Guard), but is less expensive and you can do it yourself. It is good to -20F. Then when it freezes it turns to a mush rather than ice, so it still works at even colder temperatures.

/ 4520r handle front chains? #7  
I used WW fluid in my 3510i, and had Rimguard in all 4 tires on my TYM (dealer wouldn't sell a loader tractor without loaded rears, at minimum). My current ride has WW Fluid again, because the dealer includes it in all loader tractors. Makes a big difference. We are fortunate that Branson's are already much heavier than the others, as I subscribe to the weight = work theory on tractor build.

I used front chains on my 3510i to help with steering for 4 winters with no ill effects, but we used to get only around 5' of snow here in WI. It's a lot less these days it seems. I'm going to forgo them on my 4720H for now. I'm planning to do much more with the rear blade this year, including installing a hydro cylinder to angle it.

My .02

/ 4520r handle front chains?
two things with windshield washer fluid...alcohol affecting tires and temps that can get down to -40????

I can get the -30 rain-x but just wondering about long term affects on tires.
otherwise the only RimGuard dealer here want $976 for the rear tires. gives me #1,300 extra weight.

/ 4520r handle front chains? #9  
For not much more then that you can buy bolt on rear wheel weights,
If your centers are setup for weights;
Buy Tractor Weights Online | Tractor Wheel Weights
I personally prefer iron as a choice over liquid fill.
removing weights 3.jpg removing weights 2.jpg
These are 300# each.

/ 4520r handle front chains? #10  
I have never gotten down to -40 with my tractor (not even close), but from what I am told, if you do, windshield washer fluid turns to mush and doesn't freeze solid. Sort of like running around with tires filled with slushies from the convenience store. It may expand a bit and raise the air pressure that is left in the tire a bit, but that is probably more than offset by the contraction of air at colder temps. As far as the methanol hurting your rubber or rims; that is not a problem either. I have heard of it being in tires for umpteen years with no ill affects.