Square Link Tire Chains?

/ Square Link Tire Chains? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
Has anyone here used square link tire chains on their UTV? Something like these: Square link ATV diamond pattern chains

I have a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520 with 27x9-12 tires. I'm getting it set up for snow plowing. I have a tractor with a rear-mount snow blower for the heavy snows, but it's slow (and looking back over my shoulder while plowing a 1/4 mile driveway gets old after a while). This will be for a quick pass on lighter snows.

We do have one steep section which faces east. It can be tough getting up it when it ices up. I have "euro-style" studded chains on my tractor which works well. My neighbor with whom we share most of the driveway plows with his ATV with V-bar ladder-style chains on his rear tires.

My concern is that the loop opf our driveway up near the house is paved. I don't want to tear it up by spinning studded chains on the pavement. IT has not been an issue with the tractor, but then 4000# of tractor plus implement (and that's before adding the snowblower on the rear) is not something highly prone to spinning tires. A UTV might be a different story.

I'm concerned that plain round-link chains will not be enough traction on the hill. Studded diamond pattern chains are great for traction, but generally not recommended for use with an ATV/UTV on pavement. V-bars are slightly less aggressive. Square link chains are less aggressive than V-bars, but supposedly a good step up from non-studded round link chains.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with square-link chains on an ATV or UTV and what you thought of them. I'm particularly interested in any experience anyone may have as to how the traction with square link chains compares to V-bar chains in a similar pattern.

John

/ Square Link Tire Chains? #2  
Spinning utv tires with chains should not tear up decent pavement. You'll get a few scratch marks in the sealer, but not torn up blacktop.

/ Square Link Tire Chains? #3  
Not on utv/atv but on a pushback tractor we used the same style (airport use) . Tractor weighed about 200k and would easily push a fully loaded cargo 747. The whale would weigh roughly 800k. Traction wise that style was great. Just like any chain, put them on right and keep them tight and shouldn't have any problems.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT