455 Rancher not oiling properly

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
I have Husky 455 Rancher and have always have issues with chain oil lubrication. From day one it did not oil the chain correctly. I keep the area where it is supposed to dispense oil free of chips and saw dust but still the lubrication is poor. I have heard there is a fix for this problem. Any advice would be much appreciate. I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, I new to the chainsaw forum.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #2  
Something to check is to make sure the oil hole in the bar lines up with the correct height of the oiler slot in the saw. Have come across more than one bar over the years where the oil hole in the bar was drilled in the wrong location and obstructed half of the oil slot on the saw leading to plugging and poor oil. One bar was a warranty issue on a new saw that warped into 8000 bars incorrectly manufactured, and shutting down distributor order fulfillment of any new saw that used that bar for 2 months.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly
I didn’t know there was a specific hole in the bar for chain lubrication, I just thought the chain oil dripped (oozed) on the chain from the oiler. I will check out your suggestion today. The saw still has the factory bar on it, perhaps replacing the bar would help. Thanks for the advice.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #5  
I didn’t know there was a specific hole in the bar for chain lubrication, I just thought the chain oil dripped (oozed) on the chain from the oiler. I will check out your suggestion today. The saw still has the factory bar on it, perhaps replacing the bar would help. Thanks for the advice.
The saw has a groove about an inch long above the bar mounting studs. That is the oil slot that lines up with the oil hole on the bar. Some saws use the opposite hole that the chain adjuster nib fits into. Others have a specific hole next to the bar rail. The saws that I have had issues with had the hole next to the bar rail that would be drilled too high and would block about half of the oil hole to oil slot alignment.

While you have the bar off start the saw and observe the oil that is being pumped out into the slot. If you are getting a fair amount of air bubbles mixed with the oil then the pump is sucking air, and will cause intermittent oiling. most cases require replacing the oil pump.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #6  
Yup gotta make sure the oil hole in the bar is clean and free. And if its a replacement bar.....just because it fits doesnt mean its right.

Start the saw and let it idle without the bar/chain/cover on. See if oil oozes out that slot. If it does the issue is with the bar. If it doesnt you have an oiler issue.

You said you have had problems since day one.....does the saw actually use bar oil? Every tank full of gas should use 1/2-3/4 tank of bar oil.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #7  
Ignorant of the huskies, but on my Stihl 660's they were designed to be stingy on oil for EPA. wouldn't sling oil at all. Upgraded them both to high output oilers, can now sling oil off.
Other things to check -
Brand of oil - some are thicker and heavier than others
Chain - some chains are designed to use less oil

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #8  
If early 455 there was a update to the filter in oil tank. It was to coarse and letting fines through to stop up line.

Also most 455 I see not oiling is the plastic work gear shot.

But do the simple things first. Clean bar groove. Start without bar on and see if oil comes from the case port.

One I just did for a guy with worn out spur too.

h455spur.jpg

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly
Wow, got some good advice. I ran the saw with the bar off and got a flow of oil that seemed sufficient with no air bubbles. The screen in the reservoir is clean also. I am using Husky chain oil also. The holes in the bar are clean and clear but it is hard to tell if the hole is correctly positioned over the oil slot when positioning the bar. The saw was bought in 2012 so I don’t know if that year model had misaligned bar holes as mentioned above with some saws. The other thing I don’t like about this saw is it is heavy, geez. I should have bought an Echo for my needs. This thing cost $425.00 and have only used it 4 times. I guess I’ll spring for a new Oregon bar. Thanks for all the helpful response.

/ 455 Rancher not oiling properly #10  
Only used it 4 times begs the question what makes you say it "has always had issues oiling"?