4720 ABC transmission range question.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #1  

qstott

Silver Member
Tractor
'65 110 JD, 445 JD, 4720CabJD
As I am a 4720 newbie owner, I have a question. I seem to have some difficulty changing the transmission range lever from A to B to C. It seems to work fine when the tractor is off. But when it is running for a few minutes, it's almost impossible to change it. The transmission fluid is full. I thought maybe the cable needed lubing, but it works so well when it's not running, I don't see how that can have an effect. It is a cab tractor. Thanks!

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #2  
E hydro?
1st, don't shift on the move, but try to give it a little pedal forward let off and try it and if still hard a little pedal backward then try it.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #4  
Ed zachary! Also goes for the 4wd, you have to tap on the f and r a little to get it to engage.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #5  
Is it new? My dealer said the linkage on the ehydro sometimes needs adjustment. If the advice doesn't work it could be setup improperly from the start.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #6  
My 4320 has the same stiffness. Like others have mentioned rock it forward/backward and it should slip right in.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #7  
Ditto on hard to change ranges & 4WD. When I first bought my 4720 in July of 2010 I had to use visegripes on the selector shaft protruding from the transmission housing to get it in and out of 4WD. What I have found is that after time it becomes easier(120 Hrs. now). 4WD now is no problem and I can shift almost on the fly, just like the old days when you could shift gears without using the clutch. Just a matter of timing the load on the gear train. Range selection is a little more tricky but also with time and usage becomes easier. Slowly rocking the pedals works and also on level ground but also have been able to time the shift. Just be careful when trying to time the range shifter!

JPC

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question.
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, E Hydro. I really feel like I got a bargin on this thing. It just showed up last night after a 13 hr trip. It's used with 761 hrs. I've been looking all day for that "thing" that made the price so good. So far, it's just like a new one :)

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #9  
Yep, sometimes this happens. Just nudge the forward/reverse pedal a little while applying slight pressure on the A/B/C lever.
Congrats!! Hec, your tractor is just broke in. Work will seem more like fun.

/ 4720 ABC transmission range question. #10  
I just got a 2013 model 4720 with 165 hours on it. Shifting is a little tricky but that's going ok. My problem is it keeps slipping out of 4WD when disking or plowing. It will slip out of 4WD 3 or 4 times in a couple hours. I've been very careful to get it all the way into gear by stopping and rocking back and forth. Any ideas?