474 v 494

/ 474 v 494 #21  
If you are looking at finish mowing less than about 5 acres I would use a zero turn. I mow about 4 acres with a 60" cut and 25 hp motor zero turn.

/ 474 v 494 #22  
Mowing, for certain a ZTR. I use a 72” on two acres. It would take 2x as long and damage the lawn to use a tractor of this size

Last edited:
   / 474 v 494
After reading about the CLANGING issue in the other thread on the forum, I am getting a bit scared of TYM entirely.

I stopped by a local small dealer, who only had two 2815s in stock , nothing to really look at. He said they never had problems with parts but, he’s been a Branson dealer for years, not a real Tym dealer

/ 474 v 494 #24  
To be fair I've heard of TWO instances of the front axle issue. Only on the 494 as I recall. None on the beloved 474

/ 474 v 494
Yea that’s true, I’m more concerned with parts availability and service I guess

/ 474 v 494 #26  
Yea that’s true, I’m more concerned with parts availability and service I guess
I think the issue with the repair in question is that they are not using a stock part. They aren't replacing it with something it was not delivered with. I hear your concern though, none of us want down time. When I need to till and plant, I have a window of time. Not 6 months

/ 474 v 494 #27  
I think the T474 is a very reliable tractor, you just need to do your daily preflight list, check fluids and bolts not coming lose (Important in first 50h of ownership). I have 453h on mine since 2020 and I love it. I also towed it with my halfton until I got another 20 year old truck but a 2500 Duramax.

/ 474 v 494 #28  
What are the issues with the front axle? It’s something that would be fixed in future models no?

Looking at the Brandon models - they are about the same weight, so how much heftier could they be really? I haven’t seen them in person but aren’t they more bare-bones than the tyms?

Branson retains the outer stub axle with a large nut and keyed lock.
TYM uses a circlip, imo the retained nut is superior

/ 474 v 494
Looking at Bransons website again, I’m wondering if the 5835r is really more similar to the 494?? I’d prefer a hydrostat but the power shuttle is cool too.

/ 474 v 494 #30  
The 5835r is a TYM legacy carryover from Branson, and almost a tad bigger. It will outspec the 494 in lifting capacities, but only comes with ROPS if cab was in the horizon for you.