474 v 494

/ 474 v 494 #1  

thoner7

Silver Member
Tractor
to-20 Ferguson and Kubota m5400 with Quickie loader
Hello all. I’ve basically decided to buy a TYM with the kukje engine. But I’m trying to decide whether I should go to the bigger machine or would be alright with the smaller frame size.

I should be closing on a 32 acre property soon. This will be our homestead and we plan to build a house, barns, run in sheds, garden, the works. This property is currently half cattle pasture and half wooded hillside. I’m hoping to tell y’all what my plans are for the machine, and you can help me determine what size I should go for.

I used to have a kubota m5400 which was a 54 horse cat1/2 machine. It was probably bigger than what I needed but also do everything I asked of it fairly easily. So that’s what I’m used to working on.

Here are the jobs I’ll need to do, some are routine obviously other will be done once:

1- Bush hog, I’d like a 6’ mower and about 36 pro HP.
2- logging and firewood. Using a sawmill for lumber. Building with logs so, a loader that can handle a 20’ log that’s 14-16” diameter. Will a 3000-3600# machine work? The larger sizes are 4000# plus. My m5400 was 4200#(?) and did this work no problem
3- building some run-in style out buildings with logs, grading/hole digging/log moving.
4- I will need to run about 1000’ of pex water line from the street back to where the house will be. Our frost line is 12” so to be safe I’d like to find a real heavy duty subsoiler and pipe layer to do this myself. Our ground is pretty hard, and we do have some rock outcroppings in the area. So I might hit some rocks
5- building a 1000’ driveway. I don’t really plan on boxing out the driveway as the ground is so hard, and I hope to have the gravel tailgated so I don’t have to move so much, but I’m sure it’ll need dressing up and maintaining.
6- plowing. I don’t think this property has ever been row cropped, because I’m not sure how deep the top soil is in spots. But it’s wide open and my wife would like some trees planted around the perimeter of the property for some privacy. In order to do a mass planting of trees and shrubs, I plan to plow a few rows along the fence line, then spread walnuts acorns pine cones maple fliers by the thousands. So, I’ll need to plow ground that I might hit bedrock!?
7- fork lift - I’ll be building an entire house, so moving lots of building materials on pallets and using the forks as a scaffold etc.
8- I’d like to use one of those bolt on bucket spades or stump bucket. Do those really dig well?

Now - how realistic is it to use a finish mower behind a big boy like this? Or would a flail mower be better!? I absolutely hated the old ford flail mower I used to have but, I’d like to avoid the expense of a zero turn if it’s at all possible.

I think I can make this tractor pay for itself. I could save a few thousand running my own water line. Save maybe $10,000 doing the drive myself. A few more thousand on various grading, landscaping, and stone placement. Also I’d hopefully not need to rent any equipment throughout the building process.

/ 474 v 494 #2  
I’d get the 494. The larger frame will give more weight and better stability. The operator platform is really spacious too.

Not sure how to answer the finish mower question. To mow what? The lawn? A tractor this size would be a poor choice for lawn mowing. If I’m maintaining less finished areas, like pastures or fields, I’d get a nice offset flail

/ 474 v 494 #3  
T 494 is what I would suggest. It’s about the same frame size as the MX5400 you had. I’d like the added weight for moving larger logs and wider frame for stability. Cost is only a couple grand more. Seems like a no brainer to me (Except if you find a cherry used MX5400 Kubota).

Last edited:
   / 474 v 494 #4  
I’d get a 5711….joking..

I’m glad to see people buying tym and kioti. It will up their market share and dealer quality And get them to be a viable option in the future. The big 4 are starting to rape the us ag market.

/ 474 v 494
I figured the 494 would be best, obviously. But I am still hoping to skimp by on the smaller one. Save some money, lighter to tow (I only have an f150) and I imagine there’s a better resale market at size.

/ 474 v 494 #6  
I mean, I doubt resale is any better on a smaller unit. Some people want a smaller unit, some see the value in capacities and weight. I bought a 4820 and not a 4815 because I see the value in weight, stability, larger operator platform and capacity. So, in my case, the 4815’s smaller size was a real negative. As far as towing, the weight difference in the two models is small enough that if the F150 won’t tow the 494, it also won’t tow the 474. What is your truck rated at?

/ 474 v 494
Truck is weight for 11000 or so. I am never sure because my manual is in French!

With the trailer, the. tractor/loader/ballasted tires you are around 10,000# before any implements.

/ 474 v 494 #8  
Truck is weight for 11000 or so. I am never sure because my manual is in French!

With the trailer, the. tractor/loader/ballasted tires you are around 10,000# before any implements.
The difference in weight of the units is less than 1000lb

/ 474 v 494 #9  
I've seen reports of front axle issues on 494/574. I'd suggest you get 4820/5520 instead.

/ 474 v 494 #10  
I've seen reports of front axle issues on 494/574. I'd suggest you get 4820/5520 instead.
I too would suggest those two models.

Seeing both TYM and former Branson models side by side on local Ag fairs, the differences are very noticeable in build quality, design and strength. Even the controls feel a lot more sturdier than the TYM ones.

One thing I used to say all the time, was to look at the rear end of a TYM and a Branson model. Branson will have big axle housings all the way to the wheel, big and thick 3 pt components, amongst other stuff.

Not saying TYM makes bad tractors by any means but I do hope they retain Branson engineering and build quality for the future models. It wold be a major step up for them.