Buying Advice 4WD Utility tractor buying tips

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #1  

Booster

Tractor
none
I own some hunting land and want a 4wd utility tractor to create and maintain food pots and trails. Need some good vs bad suggestions. I don't know what brands are out there. Thanks for you help, Booster

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #2  
Almost anyone's 4WD,FEL about 35-40HP can do what you want.What dealers are in the area for future service and how much do you want to spend?New or used?HST or gear?
Kubota,John Deere,New Holland,Kioti,Massey Ferguson and lots of others.
Do some reading on this forum and detail your projects
I have a 44hp and a 30 hp 4WD and FEL's (front end loaders)
bush-hogs,two bottom plows,roto-tiller ,cultivator ect.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #3  
I need a new mode of transportation. Give me some suggestions. Bicycle? 747? Space shuttle? Without details it's impossible to know.

How many acres of food plots? How many feet/miles of trails? What do you all plan to do, brush cutting? How big of a cutter? Loader work? How much do you need to lift? PTO implements require a tractor large enough to lift them, and enough PTO horsepower. Ground-engaging attachments are mostly traction-limited, so the size/weight are also a consideration.

What are you looking to spend?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands right now. As nybirdman said, I would go with who has a local dealer. The cost savings of getting a Kioti over a Kubota are negated if you spend hours a month hauling it for service if it needs it.

If you go used, insure it's not so old (or grey market) you can't get parts for it. I would avoid the previous-generation (yellow and white) Cub Cadets, as I think many had transmission issues which were both difficult and costly to fix, but I could be wrong.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #4  
Details are needed, from your description you could need any thing from a 24HP SCUT, to a 100HP UT. What do you need to do, and what price are you looking at. That will decide brand, as most makers are pretty good. Also, what is your level of experience, that may be a factor too.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #6  
Also what are YOUR wrenching skills? Can you change a rear tire? Replace a hydraulic line? A clutch? This becomes important if you go used.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #7  
There really aren't any bad tractors these days so long as you stay away from Chinese stuff. All the USA, Japan, South Korea, etc. stuff is good. It's just a matter of your needs vs. budget. And finding a good dealer is important. Ask some farmers/contractors in your area who the best dealers are.

Then spend a LOT of time reading threads on this forum and you'll get some ideas.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #8  
There really aren't any bad tractors these days so long as you stay away from Chinese stuff. All the USA, Japan, South Korea, etc. stuff is good. It's just a matter of your needs vs. budget. And finding a good dealer is important. Ask some farmers/contractors in your area who the best dealers are.

Then spend a LOT of time reading threads on this forum and you'll get some ideas.

Not all the Chinese stuff is bad - or other Asian brands (remember Toyota and Honda from the 19960's and now look at'em).. Don't forget most of the 50hp and below are made offshore and not USA built.
I agree with most of the other comments though.

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #9  
I mow about 20 miles of trails. That does not include food plot work. Most is on private property (several land owners) and several miles of trail on federal and state lands that I have been grated permission to donate time/machine for hunter walker access that a lake association has taken partial management of..

My advice is to not have an exhaust stack for trail work and if there is a ROPS, then you have the option to fold it which you should unless your forests are different than mine. I have come close to serious injury by snagging overhead limbs or hangers with the ROPS and it isn't fun.

I have ran geared and HST machines on trails. Both worked well for me. The key to getting a lot of work done efficiently with a tractor is to have the trails already driven by an ATV and using a saw clean the path, then jump on the tractor. I know that isn't always possible but I get to know the trails so well I often times use a finishing mower to cut them. On unfamiliar territory I would use the bush hog of course...

One of my favorite tractors for trails that are not requiring much backing is a D17 if conditions are dry enough. It's a pretty low profile unit. It has enough power and with the power director I can slow down or go faster without clutching (H-L). The utility diesels I had Massey and IH did great too. But those are gone and I have a cab unit now so will not be in the woods as much with that..

Key criteria for me on a hunting/ Rec. property application is: Open station, low profile, tuck under exhaust, 4WD for wet conditions, I would say minimum of 30HP for food plot work, HST is nice but like I said, do the chore work first by foot or ATV so you don't need to be up and down off the operators platform for every sweeper, snag, and tree trunk laying across.

Many great tractors and colors to pick from

mowing house may 25 2012 001.jpg

!cid__IMG_20140707_125205139_.jpg

!cid__IMG_20140707_124525752_.jpg

mober weekend 063.jpg

may 18 tractor 030.jpg

may 18 tractor 029.jpg

/ 4WD Utility tractor buying tips #10  
:welcome:to the Forum, from Québec, Canada!
It is good to know that you are looking at purchasing a work toy! Everyone on the Forum is a kid at heart!:dance1:
That said, many questions need to be adressed by yourself before your first plunge. Too many choices, and variables. Read up as much as you can, as many many threads deal with tractor purchasing decisions.
Since you are talking about a UT Tractor, this means that your minimal HP is 45/50hp. 4wd,loader, are certainly a priority. Buying used could be tricky, and create many unforeseen headaches, down time, and costly repairs :mur:. If your budget is open for a new machine, by all means go this route. Most manufacturers offer financing, and package deals from time to time. It helps move inventory.
You need to scout your area for all Dealers in a radius of maybe 60miles. Pay them a visit, see what they got, and try as many tractors as you can, so you will get a feel for it, making your purchasing decision less strenuous as you progress.
T.B.N. members are always eager to give advice and help. There are no dumb questions, so feel free.
Best of luck.:tractor: