4x4 Question

/ 4x4 Question #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I use my tractor w/ the 4x4 engaged most of the time. Have lots of clay and Hilly areas. Should I start to play with 2wd at all?

/ 4x4 Question #2  
I don't think running in 4wd most of the time hurts anything. I do know my front and rear axles have a different ratio and I've read it's not best to run on pavement all the time in 4wd. If you need it in the dirt though, you got it. I run in 2wd most of the time, but I know this winter I'll use 4wd a lot.

/ 4x4 Question #3  
It's probably best to leave it in 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't want to take a chance of breaking traction. If it does, you may take a ride you don't want to. A lot also depends on what tires you have and the conditions of the ground. Grass covered,dirt,wet,dry,snow,dew,ect....... all play a factor in traction. I have an JD 870 with R1's that I run in 2 wheel drive every once in awhile. I also have a JD 3520 with R4's that I immediately put in 4 wheel drive as soon as I leave my level yard. I think the R4's break traction very easily. Good luck and be safe. If you think you should be in 4 wheel drive, you probably should be.

/ 4x4 Question #4  
dtd24:

I run my 4wd tractors in 2wd on pavement; 4wd on anything else. Jay

/ 4x4 Question #5  
I guess it gets down to your ground conditions. I rarely put mine in 4wd. Only when doing lots of digging loader work.

/ 4x4 Question #6  
I use the front wheel assist as required. That's probably about 50% of the time.
The only way you'll know is by trying the task in 2WD. If your rear wheels spin, it's time for the differential lock or front wheel assist.

/ 4x4 Question #7  
I recently had a wise farmer tell me that you should use 2wd until you can't go anymore and then use 4wd to get home...I tend to agree, unless I am doing FEL work. I use 2wd to tell me when I am getting close to being over my head..including when lifting something with the FEL or running on a side hill...if the uphill back tire is losing traction b/c it is so light, it is time to reassess the situation. if I ran in 4wd all the time, i wouldn't have this safety net.

W

/ 4x4 Question #8  
I only use 4wd for loader work or because I have to (stuck, slick conditions, etc). I have found when I mow in 4wd that I tend to leave tire marks on the lawn when I turn. But, I have grey market with those rice tires. Probably in turfs nothing would happen. I also don't have any big slopes.

/ 4x4 Question #9  
I use 4wd just like I do on my truck, when I need it. Then it goes back to 2wd.

/ 4x4 Question #10  
I use 4WD when I use the loader and also when pulling my box scraper. These are two areas where you can definitely get the rears to spin in 2WD.