4x4

/ 4x4 #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Is it me or is having 4 wheel drive one of the best things safety wise? I'll tell my tale so you see why I am asking this. I have been moving dirt around my yard for many hours in 4 wheel drive. I needed to turn really tight on flat gound and put it in 2 wheel so it wouldn't do the wheel hop dance. I happened to forget it there and started scraping down hill only to find that I only had rear tire braking which wasn't enough. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was a fun sideways ride, luckily it was a short hill. Needless to say 4wheel drive was turned back on as soon as I stopped. It's amazing how much better it brakes in 4 wheel drive. Yes, I do have rear ballast.

/ 4x4
Is it me or is having 4 wheel drive one of the best things safety wise? I'll tell my tale so you see why I am asking this. I have been moving dirt around my yard for many hours in 4 wheel drive. I needed to turn really tight on flat gound and put it in 2 wheel so it wouldn't do the wheel hop dance. I happened to forget it there and started scraping down hill only to find that I only had rear tire braking which wasn't enough. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was a fun sideways ride, luckily it was a short hill. Needless to say 4wheel drive was turned back on as soon as I stopped. It's amazing how much better it brakes in 4 wheel drive. Yes, I do have rear ballast.

/ 4x4 #3  
MFWD is one of the best additions ever in my mind to a compact tractor. There are so many things that one can say about the safety economy and ability of these machines. My mid frame JD will work circles around much larger machines with two wheel drive.

John M

/ 4x4 #4  
MFWD is one of the best additions ever in my mind to a compact tractor. There are so many things that one can say about the safety economy and ability of these machines. My mid frame JD will work circles around much larger machines with two wheel drive.

John M

/ 4x4 #5  
Two years ago I was moving dirt for a friend. Pick up a bucket full in the street and go down is asphalt drive to place it in the rear yard.

I quickly found that if I hit the brakes going down the drive the rear wheels got light and I had little braking.

Using 4WD as you found out allows some of the braking effort to be passed to the front wheels.

/ 4x4 #6  
Two years ago I was moving dirt for a friend. Pick up a bucket full in the street and go down is asphalt drive to place it in the rear yard.

I quickly found that if I hit the brakes going down the drive the rear wheels got light and I had little braking.

Using 4WD as you found out allows some of the braking effort to be passed to the front wheels.