5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #1  

allen in texas

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 5740, loaded R1's w/640 lbs cast weight, 854 loader
It's been awhile since I've posted here, I've been working, playing and generally enjoying life. These links are to the 5 year old threads about my Bush Hog 1812 flexwing mower that I bought to make a few bucks with. I thought some of you might like to hear a real life experience review of the machine.

First off, this mower has paid for itself several time over and that's a good thing. It has saved a lot of time on the jobs I do. I have a few random jobs with it but I mostly have 4 regular jobs. One is the mentioned 176 acre rail park, another is a 12 acre private home pasture, and the other two are businesses that are about 25 acres each. On yeah, I have one 2 acre spot that I do for free. I generally do each spot 3 times a season, depending on rain. less for no rain, more for more rain but I am here to talk about my mower.

It broke in half! Not completely the fault of the machine but a good bit of it, or perhaps quality control at Bush hog. The first problem I noticed was that I was having trouble keeping the wings mowing even with the center blade. but I kept adjusting them and trying to make it mow nicely until one day, the tractor just bogged down and I started mowing dirt. Seems as though the tongue had broken and I was dragging the mower on the ground.
Well I picked that up (long story as to how) and got it home and repaired it. It broke where the different pieces that made up the tongue were welded together, or in this case, not welded. I looked it over, found spots that were supposed to be welded but weren't it was just tack welded to hold it together until it could be fully welded but I guess they forgot to go back and finish up. I welded all the spots, fish plated a few and I thought I was good to go.
Before the tongue broke ,I had a bit of trouble getting it to clear the tail of the trailer when I was loading it so I modified my ramps. once again, good to go, I thought.
The next mowing job I had, the right hand side of the center blade and the left hand side of the right wing were scalping so I shut down and loaded it to go home to see what was wrong. Rather I tried to load it. I couldn't get it to clear the tail of the trailer again. I looked under it and the main chassis, a 2x2 square tubing, was broken through and through and it was sagging in the middle about 4 inches.
Long story but I finally got it home, turned it up on its sided, had the bottom sand blasted clean and I found 4 more breaks. Each of them in a piddly weld. 3/8 or thicker metal with a 1/16 inch or less weld bead. No wonder it broke. The only thing not broken in a weld was the 2x2 main chassis and it broke because of all the other parts that let go.
Bush hog is aware of what happened, basically told me good luck with it but I wasn't expecting them to warrant a 5 year old machine, I just wanted them to be aware of the terrible quality control on my machine. It's back together now and still working and probably stronger now than it would have been had the welding been up to snuff.
This was the major problems I've had, I've had a couple of minor troubles that I fixed and they all required welding and beefing up the part that broke. I thinks it's a good machine but I really think Bush Hog should look into the quality control and I believe there is one or two parts that could be slightly redesigned to increase the reliability without increasing the cost of the machine.
Cost??? A new one today costs about 30% more that I gave for mine 5 years ago.
Hope everyone enjoyed this ramble...

Last edited:
   / 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812
Well I didn't realize that I posted the same link twice. Sorry bout that.

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #3  
I always enjoy reading a real world review after you've had it awhile. When I was looking for a 12 foot batwing, I considered Bush Hog, but never found a new one to look at anywhere in my area.

On the 176 acre rail park, how many acres are you actually mowing? What is a rail park?

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #4  
Interestingly, the only issues I've had with both my Land Pride shredders (one is a flat top 7 footer, the other a bat wing) is I have to replace the replaceable skid shoes on both pretty regularly as I have them both set to cut close to the ground. Blades have stayed pretty nice but I suspect I'll be replacing them at some point in the future as well. Least the skid shoes on both are replaceable, not welded on. I may hard rod the next pair and see how that works.

I always enjoy reading a real world review after you've had it awhile. When I was looking for a 12 foot batwing, I considered Bush Hog, but never found a new one to look at anywhere in my area.

On the 176 acre rail park, how many acres are you actually mowing? What is a rail park?
A Rail park, or at least this rail park is an industrial park. Manufacturing, businesses etc. the entire property is 476 acres. businesses occupy everything but the 176 acres I mow. Actually, this past year another business was built that takes up 13 acres so I guess I mow 163 acres now. It's pretty hard mowing. rough ground, lots of obstacles etc. I earn my money for sure. I average just over 6 acres per hour, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Interestingly, the only issues I've had with both my Land Pride shredders (one is a flat top 7 footer, the other a bat wing) is I have to replace the replaceable skid shoes on both pretty regularly as I have them both set to cut close to the ground. Blades have stayed pretty nice but I suspect I'll be replacing them at some point in the future as well. Least the skid shoes on both are replaceable, not welded on. I may hard rod the next pair and see how that works.
I've replaced my skid shoes twice but not because I mow low. the ground is uneven so the ends of the wings will drag. And I replace my blades every year. There's always some hidden obstacle that I hit. (people dumping stuff). I've heard pros and cons to hard facing blades. too much work so I'll just keep replacing them.
How long have you had your land prides? what do you mow and how much. I ask because when I first got my batwing, I mowed my lawn with it. I have a rather large lawn but it looked as good as any grooming mower I've used.

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #7  
Thanks, I understand what a "rail park" is now. I was reading it literally and thinking it was some kind of park for trains. :)

Thanks, I understand what a "rail park" is now. I was reading it literally and thinking it was some kind of park for trains. :)
Sorry about that. I forgot to say that it is served by a couple of rail spurs that bring in material for the manufacturing companies and haul out some of the finished products. That's why they named it a "rail park"/

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #9  
Sorry about that. I forgot to say that it is served by a couple of rail spurs that bring in material for the manufacturing companies and haul out some of the finished products. That's why they named it a "rail park"/
Different terminology for different areas, we call them Industrial Parks.

/ 5 year update on my Bush Hog 1812 #10  
How long have you had your land prides? what do you mow and how much. I ask because when I first got my batwing, I mowed my lawn with it. I have a rather large lawn but it looked as good as any grooming mower I've used.
2 years and I mow my hayfields after bailing them. No issues at all, just keep them greased and run them (other than the replaceable skid shoes.