50 hour service cost

/ 50 hour service cost #31  
Be ready for sticker shock on lubricants.Prices since late August are up 10-30% depending on the product.Only motor fuel has declined with lower crude prices-and not nearly in proportion with the crude price.we should be lower soon.Hard to say where lubricants will go,but probably not down.

/ 50 hour service cost #32  
There is something to be said about what you learn about your machine when you do the service yourself... I'm no mechanic but I found it very easy and I learned a lot.

Also I bought an official Kubota service manual from Messick's (far cheaper than anywhere else I looked) for about $60.00. It sure can't hurt to be able to discuss things with the shop intelligently if you have at least some point of reference.

Also with Messicks they have "forum" for info as well as the ability to talk to someone if you need to.

Paul

/ 50 hour service cost
Hi,
Just completed the 50 hour service, and did it myself. I had printed out a step by step guide I found on this site, but it doesn't say who posted it, which is unfortunate because I wanted to tell him what a great job he did. The only couple of points I would make is that if you have the rear Bro-tek skid plate, it really has to come off. He does provide a "trap" door to get at the hydro filter, but I found it just too tight. So off it came.

Also, to be on the safe side I bought two oil filter wrenches so I would definitely have the right one. Guess what, I didn't...the diameter of the oil filter on the BX 24 is so small, i couldn't find a filter that would work. So...luckily I had a big pair of channel locks and could get the teeth around it. Your average channel locks will be too small, you need the oversized kind. But, it worked fine.

The only other thing I "failed" to do was find the tranny strainer to clean it. I looked and looked, but I was losing daylight, and had to go ahead and fill the hydro without doing it. I had not taken my backhoe off, maybe that's why I couldn't see it. Anyway, I hope I am ok there.

Here is the list of parts and costs from my dealer here in MA.

(1) 2.5 gal SUPER UDT (I had an extra gallon already at home.) $59.91
(1) Oil Filter $9.59
(1) Hydro/Filter $18.21
(1)Air Filter $20.67
(1) QT 10/30 Motor Oil $5.47!!!
Tax $5.69
TOTAL: 113.85
As I was writing this post and looking at the bill, I just noticed they only charged me for a quart of oil instead of the gallon jug I bought. Do I tell them??? hmmmm...I am so **** honest I probably will...life's too short.

Anyway, that's my post....and believe me, if I can do this service then ANYONE can. I am not that handy, and I did enjoy the experience, though it was a bit messy.

Cheers!

/ 50 hour service cost #34  
My parts list ran about $175. It included your items plus two fuel filters, 4 quarts of oil instead of one and a 5 gallon jug of hydraulic fluid instead of the 2 1/2 you got.