50 Hour Service Cost

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #21  
The cost for the fluids and filters for mine at the dealer was around $290 after tax if I remember correctly. I did the work myself as this is my first tractor and I wanted to learn.

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #22  
Anyone know a ballpark cost? Not many (!) dealers near me and would just like to know if I'm getting value for my $$'s.
The cost for a 50 hours service should be no more than the filters and oil cost. The work should be done by the owner so he can get familiar with the tractor. 50 hour service in difficulty rating from 1-10 is about a 2. If you can change oil in your car, then a 50 hour tractor service is about the same. The only difference is the amount of oil required. You may need a large container for the hydraulic oil if you are changing that, but otherwise it is just pull the drain plugs let it drain, remove and replace the filters then replace the drain plugs (very important not to forget this) replace the filter and refill with the correct oils.

Unless you are a total nerd when it comes to mechanic work, do it yourself and save the hauling fee to get it to the dealer which could be $200 plus (depending on distance from the dealer)another $200 or more in labor charges.

The entire change should not take more than 3 hours including checking all the bolts (FEL mounting bolts, tire lug bolts, any other bolts that you find) for tightness.

If you don't have a tool set that is capable of doing this, it is a good time to buy some tools since you will need them to do routine maintenance. Harbor Freight has some descent tool sets for not much money that will work fine for this. I bought a set of 3/4" drive that go from 3/4"-2" (19mm-50mm)when on sale 8 years ago for $49 per set (I got both SAE and Metric). The also have some pretty good boxed end/open end wrench sets up to 1 1/4" really cheap. You can get outfitted in all the tools you will need for what the dealer is going to charge you to pick up the tractor, service it (labor)and return it. You will have to pay for the materials regardless of who does the work.

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #23  
Well sometimes is not possible to do the service myself. In my country, the services need to be done on the dealers to keep the warranty intact and get the service book signed.

My dealer is just 15 miles away, he would pick up and delivery the tractor at no cost, plus he didn't charge for the labor as it was the first service. I think his labor goes around 25$/hour.

I could do it easily myself, I've rebuilt 2 tractors and built a backhoe, mechanical experience is not the problem. It's just the way it is I guess.

However, I'm curious on how it works in case of a problem occur when the OP did the service himself. How can the dealer know if the OP did use the right oil/filters and so on? What if the OP used the wrong oil or didn't even changed the filters and caused a major failure? Do they take the responsibility?

/ 50 Hour Service Cost
You know what? Done my own service for years and kept a Ford 8n going for a long time. I know I could do it myself. I'm just at that point in life where I'd rather pay somebody and spend that time saved doing something I enjoy. YMMV!

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #25  
However, I'm curious on how it works in case of a problem occur when the OP did the service himself. How can the dealer know if the OP did use the right oil/filters and so on? What if the OP used the wrong oil or didn't even changed the filters and caused a major failure? Do they take the responsibility?

That is one of the reasons I bought all my fluids and filters from the dealer I bought the tractor from even though it was about $90 higher than if I bought the same stuff online..... they've got a record of what I bought and know I got the right stuff. I haven't read my warranty cover to cover to know if I'm allowed to do the service myself, but you make a good point.

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #26  
You know what? Done my own service for years and kept a Ford 8n going for a long time. I know I could do it myself. I'm just at that point in life where I'd rather pay somebody and spend that time saved doing something I enjoy. YMMV!

Can't really argue with that either! :)

/ 50 Hour Service Cost
Fair trade legislation is generally in the side of the consumer. If you have receipts showing you bought filters and fluids you're not going to have much issue. Don't generally have to "prove" you installed them! This prevents the manufacturer from insisting only a dealer can do maintenance. If they could, dealers could then charge unreasonably high prices and you'd have no recourse

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #28  
I understand now. Thanks for the explanation.

In my country, that situation would be like a hit or miss whether the seller will warranty it or not.

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #29  
hardest part of the home "do it yourself" service is getting the front diff fluid refilled to the right level. Mines always different each time I check it. Dipstick screwed in or loose? Who knows. Oem filters, napa green lid atf, rotela t-6 for the cummins.

/ 50 Hour Service Cost #30  
The mechanic checked mine with the dipstick loose.