.50 or .58

/ .50 or .58 #1  

Gomer pyle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5090E
I am needing a new bar on two of my saws. One will be getting another 20" and the other will be downsizing to 28". I plan on Tsumura bars. I have always used .50 3/8 chains. Is there any benefit to going to .58, especially on the 28"? Anything to change on the sprocket?

/ .50 or .58 #2  
.58 is less common than either .50 or .63. I'd use one of those so you'll have the most options for chain. I standardized on .50 since that's what my first saw was. There may be an advantage to .63 for long bars on big saws but I'm not positive about that. So far it's worked ok for me on the 32" but I don't use it all that often.

The sprockets work for all gauges, its the chain and bar that need to match.

I've found Tsumura bars in .50.

/ .50 or .58 #3  
.058 was standard on Husqvarna and Solo using the full size 3/8 pitch chain. .063 is standard on Stihl using full 3/8 pitch chain and .325 pitch chain and for .404 pitch chains which is not as common as it used to be. Used on Stihl ms880 series and I think is available on the Husqvarna 3120XP. The .050 is the most common drive thickness for .325, and 3/8 both full size and low profile.

/ .50 or .58
What is the purpose of the different sizes? Strength? Better oiling?

/ .50 or .58 #5  
I don't think it affects oiling. The 'drivers' that fit into the guide bar slot are what the sprocket uses to drive the chain. Wider ones (.63) would mean a larger wear surface. But my sprockets wear mostly on the part that contacts the doubled main links. So I don't think it makes much difference.

Wider gauge would be more resistant to bending when it's pinched and pulled out of the bar, but I view that as an operator error.

There might be no engineering reason behind it, just a (lack of) standards issue.

Madsen's says .63 is stronger but makes the chain heavier: Pitch & Gauge Explained
Here's a thread discussing it, where folks say that .63 cuts a slightly wider kerf among other somewhat interesting things: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=58265.0

/ .50 or .58 #6  
stick with .50 and never look back!-- it is not as heavy and cuts faster. --- your saw motor will thank you for it!

/ .50 or .58 #7  
I would go with the .50 as I think it is a lot easier to get chain in that size in my area, and also as others stated it requires less power

/ .50 or .58 #9  
I just put a 58 chain on my worn out 50 works great.

/ .50 or .58 #10  
That works, delays having to buy a new bar but watch out for cracked rails. In western Canada the German, American and Japanese saws have always come in with .050 except for the big Stihls. For some reason the Swedes had to be different and go with .058 so we had to stock both. The only .063 was with .404 for the biig Stihls, the distributor I worked for dumped the last of the stock because it was just taking up shelf space. I have never seen 3/8 or .325 in that gauge so it's a regional thing.