50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
I saw this Old New Holland Baler listed locally. I have not went to look at it. I know nothing about balers what so ever. But i have been wanting to get one to bale at the most 10 ac or less of hay for our few horses. Guy is asking 700. Said they bought a new one 2 years ago and kept this for a back up. Said it works now, he would cut a few bales down and run them threw to show me. He didn't tell me model number just said it's in the 50's. From the pics looks old but i don't really need much. I have a DK50 that i was plannin on tryin to pull it with.

I have a very good old sickle bar just would have to get a hay rake or borrow a neighbors.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• NH Baler.jpg
    NH Baler.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,102
   / 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth
R they decent models? Is it worth the 700 if it bales?

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #4  
I saw this Old New Holland Baler listed locally. I have not went to look at it. I know nothing about balers what so ever. But i have been wanting to get one to bale at the most 10 ac or less of hay for our few horses. Guy is asking 700. Said they bought a new one 2 years ago and kept this for a back up. Said it works now, he would cut a few bales down and run them threw to show me. He didn't tell me model number just said it's in the 50's. From the pics looks old but i don't really need much. I have a DK50 that i was plannin on tryin to pull it with.

I have a very good old sickle bar just would have to get a hay rake or borrow a neighbors.

If you can buy a baler for $700 and see it bale hay before you lay your money down, you have got a super deal. Ken Sweet

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth
If you can buy a baler for $700 and see it bale hay before you lay your money down, you have got a super deal. Ken Sweet

Thanks ken. Wat should i look for. Or if he runs a bale or two threw it is that good enougj at 700?

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #7  
I'll say a 66.

68 is taller due to the chain driven crossfeed.

i knew it was one of the two just couldn't get a picture of them in my head clearly

but for 700 for a working baler that the owner will let u see work before any money changes hand is a great deal

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #8  
Running a few broken up bales through for you to see is NOT the same as baling in the field. I have seen that trick more than once. After the baler got to the field in actual new hay, it never worked right. If he cannot show you it actually baling, offer a few hundred, no more. Older New Hollands tend to bring more than the same age JD.

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #9  
Running a few broken up bales through for you to see is NOT the same as baling in the field. I have seen that trick more than once. After the baler got to the field in actual new hay, it never worked right. If he cannot show you it actually baling, offer a few hundred, no more. Older New Hollands tend to bring more than the same age JD.

I think the OP said the owner was going to cut a few bales down. I took that to mean "cut hay" rake and bale. Ken Sweet

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #10  

That baler looks like it spent a lot of time in the weather. Check the bale chamber for severely rusted walls (you may have to dig a bale out of the chamber). $700 is pretty near scrap value which ought to tell you something.