50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth
I need to find someone to come along and look at it with me and i might just pull the trigger if they think it seems ok. I really don't know what i'm lookin at when it comes to knotters and stuff but i guess if they don't look rusted up that they are greased up it should be ok if it bales right?

I guess another thing i should consider, is how long it will take me to get the fields established that they are decent enough to make hay. There is a decent amount of timothy and clover in about 3 acres. But the other 7 is timothy and misc. weeds i guess i'm not sure. Does it hurt to just bale it and let them eat what the horse will and let the rest for bedding. If i get the baler i'm going to try and overseed it this fall, i beleive that's what everyone is telling me is the best thing to do.

Local farmer told me he never had much luck startin from scrath w/ a hayfield. Need to turn it in corn, then beans, then hay or something like that i don't know.

/ 50's New Holland Square Baler? Pic, what's it worth #23  
Starting a field from scratch can be done. For timothy or orchard it is best usually to use a JD notill. Depending on exactly where you are some dealers rent these drills, or maybe you can hire some one with a JD notill. The way they are made each cutter has it's own depth guage wheel. These drills have always given me the best results.Fall is the best time to start new grass fields. If you have a cold enough winter you can mix in some oats for cover and the freeze will take them out. Central PA should be plenty cold enough. Timothy usually goes 5-8 pounds per acre and orchard 15-18. If you do a mix get an early variety of timothy and a late maturity orchard and they may get ready close to the same time.

Baling weedy hay. Yes you can do it. Yes you will also be spreading the weed seeds back out on your fields or pastures where ever the manure goes.

The first baler is always a HUGE learning curve, and there is probably nothing we can do on this forum to truely help you avoid the pain.

Thanks so much eveyone for the help. My hay i just got got rained on. Wat a 1st time hay making experience. Oh well