5145, 50 hour service

/ 5145, 50 hour service #1  

confederatemule

Silver Member
In detail, what does the dealer do when the 50 hour service is performed on a 5145? Where can I find instructions on doing it myself? I am concerned about warranty. I seems that there is always a hidden loop hole that will void the warranty.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #3  
If you want to do the work yourself in order to maintain warranty status you should keep receipts for the oil and the filters. Document the date you performed the service and the hours on the tractor when you did the work. Your operator manual should tell what work should be done. Keeping records will be important to establish the work was done.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #4  
The service schedule chart for the 5100 series can be found in the second-to-last pages of the operators manual. Section 11-1.

The 50 hr. service calls for-
-Change engine oil/filter
-Check coolant level and radiator hose tightness
-Change hydraulic suction filter
-Clean hydraulic suction strainer
-Check/top off hydraulic oil level
-Check and adjust clutch and brake pedal free play
-Change front axle oil
-Check tire pressure/torque wheel nuts

/ 5145, 50 hour service #5  
my understanding is the the hydraulic strainer cleaning requires draining all of the hydraulic fluid to access it.
my dealer quoted my $800 for the 50 hr service.

Last edited:
   / 5145, 50 hour service #6  
what is the best method of removing the hydraulic filter for the first time? my oil filter was tuff but came off with an oil filter cap socket and a breaker bar. rain stopped me from getting to the hydraulic side of things.

and i found some new grease fittings, they sure put a lot of these on the 5145.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #7  
what is the best method of removing the hydraulic filter for the first time? my oil filter was tuff but came off with an oil filter cap socket and a breaker bar. rain stopped me from getting to the hydraulic side of things.

and i found some new grease fittings, they sure put a lot of these on the 5145.

There are several...
Strap wrench (lightly sandpaper the filter first).
Specialty filter wrench for the notched base.
Cold chisel and hammer on the base.
Air chisel on the base if there's enough room.
Screw driver through the filter (don't recommend!)

Also taking a razor to the base of the filter gasket helps considerably if the factory filter was painted over.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #8  
There are several...
Strap wrench (lightly sandpaper the filter first).
Specialty filter wrench for the notched base.
Cold chisel and hammer on the base.
Air chisel on the base if there's enough room.
Screw driver through the filter (don't recommend!)

Also taking a razor to the base of the filter gasket helps considerably if the factory filter was painted over.
thanks for the generic response and i have use most of those methods at one time or another. I was looking for some specific advice because of the location that this filter is in on the 5100 series. I was hoping some one had done it already and would fill me in, before i start on the list you mentioned. I'm hoping that after it dries out i can get a filter cap socket on it with my breakover bar like i did on the oil filter, we will see.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #9  
I have performed the 50 hour service on my 5145, the biggest headache was the suction strainer...getting the suction tube disconnected ,and yes you must drain all the fluid, there are 8 or 9 drain plugs under the tractor...everything is layed out in your owners manual i have reciepts for everthing and i took photos and videos of everthingi performed step by step ,i drained into a 5 gallon clean pale, then pumped it into two 5 gallon buckets, then when i was done , i filtered the fluid and put it right back in, i spent a couple days on this service in my garage, i just took my time.... if you have any questions, just shoot me a message ,good luck!

/ 5145, 50 hour service #10  
I have performed the 50 hour service on my 5145, the biggest headache was the suction strainer...getting the suction tube disconnected ,and yes you must drain all the fluid, there are 8 or 9 drain plugs under the tractor...everything is layed out in your owners manual i have reciepts for everthing and i took photos and videos of everthingi performed step by step ,i drained into a 5 gallon clean pale, then pumped it into two 5 gallon buckets, then when i was done , i filtered the fluid and put it right back in, i spent a couple days on this service in my garage, i just took my time.... if you have any questions, just shoot me a message ,good luck!
what method did you use to remove the hydraulic filter? how bad was it to remove?