59 Ford 601 Workmaster

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #1  

Fsa1953

Tractor
Ford 601 Workmaster
Good Afternoon
I just recently received a 59 Ford 601 Workmaster and trying to figure out what the gentleman has don to it. I've notice that there is a 12 volt battery positive ground. I'm trying to figure out if it's been converted to 12 volt or if it's still 6 volt. The generator is producing around 7 volts, the regulator has 3 terminals Bat-Arm-Field, coil has an external resistor. Has the tractor been started to be converted over to 12 volt and not finished? What would I need to do to either finish making it 12 volts and or converting it back to 6 volts? Diagram for both 6 volt and 12 volt wiring.

Thank you for your time

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #2  
if it were me..... i would just put a alternator on it and run 12 volts. also add a Pertronix point conversion and 12v coil.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster
It's gas engine.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster
According to Tractor Data they were either gasoline or diesel. The gasoline version was six volt positive ground, the diesel was twelve volt negative ground. TractorData.com Ford 641 tractor information
It's a gas engine. It looks like they started to convert to 12 volt but stop. It still has the generator, regulator and an external resistor on the coil. What would I need to get rid of and replace with? Replace Generator with 1 wire alternator,12 volt coil without the external resistor,12 volt solenoid? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #6  
It's a gas engine. It looks like they started to convert to 12 volt but stop. It still has the generator, regulator and an external resistor on the coil. What would I need to get rid of and replace with? Replace Generator with 1 wire alternator,12 volt coil without the external resistor,12 volt solenoid? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

I did many an 8N that way. Did my neighbors international same way. Works good.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #7  
All you need to replace is to put an alternator on, the coil will be fine with a resistor or you can change it to a coil with the resistant built in like the NAPA IC14SB to simplify the wiring. The solenoid and starter need not be touched they will work fine on the 12 volt system just don't grind on it for long periods that would over heat them. And just so ya know if you were to get new or rebuilt they would be the exact same as the ones on the tractor now so save yer money unless they are already shot.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster
All you need to replace is to put an alternator on, the coil will be fine with a resistor or you can change it to a coil with the resistant built in like the NAPA IC14SB to simplify the wiring. The solenoid and starter need not be touched they will work fine on the 12 volt system just don't grind on it for long periods that would over heat them. And just so ya know if you were to get new or rebuilt they would be the exact same as the ones on the tractor now so save yer money unless they are already shot.
So I'll be able to bypass the voltage regulator? Starter is fine.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #9  
1 wire alternator has regulator built-in.

/ 59 Ford 601 Workmaster #10  
I prefer the 3 wire alternator myself but a 1 wire is fine just remember you have to wind them up a bit before they will start to charge. Usually about 1100 to 1300 rpm before they start charging will a 3 wire will start charging just off idle.

But, yes you can remove the regulator.